I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BD Ehler
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2009 11:47PM

After hearing Billy and others talk about Mr Ehler, I have had the chance to have some dealings with him after posting about a need for certain guides. I whole heartedly agree with those who have sung the praises of this man!! A more excellent human being would be hard to come by!! I am proud to have been able to make his aquaintance, at least via eMail. I surely hope to personally meet him at the 2010 Expo!!!

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BD Ehler
Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 31, 2009 10:10AM

There isnt a nicer human being then BD Ehler and no one in this wide world knows that better then I do. Some years ago at Rod Builder seminar I had the pleasure and honor of meeting him and he gave me advise that actually changed my life. I am not kidding when I say that it was medical advise that changed my life to the point I could function normally without excruciating pain. If he is at the 2010 Expo you could bet I will seek him out to once again thank him for what he has done for me.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: July 31, 2009 03:37PM

I have had the honor as well of meeting BD, he is a wealth of knowledge as well as a great person. Just cant say enough about him. I highly recommend any knowledge you gain from this man be maintained in writing as not to forget it.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 31, 2009 03:44PM

Not sure who he is but sounds like a real good guy.

I do not think Tom should supply name badges, but it would be nice if all the attendees got their own and wore it so more of us would know who some of these people at the Expo are. That are just so many rod builders there that unless you know what somebody looks like you can easily walk right past somebody that you might have been wanting to meet.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 31, 2009 10:21PM

Badges can say a lot when personalized ?

Electric!

This badge was designed and proudly worn by B. D. Ehler at a recent gathering of rodbuilders at a wandering river in central Tennessee. Ask anyone who attended if badges can be effectively used as an icebreaker at group meetings -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

More:

[www.rodbuilding.org]:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

There were 53 for this meeting and there is no limit to the variations or themes for each - given the proper time and preplanning this could happen for the ICRBE for everybody in attendance at a cost of materials of less than $ 2.50 each.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2009 08:29AM

How do you plan to reach each of the 1500 to 2200 rod builders that attend the ICRBE and let them know about this?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 09:21AM

Your free advertisement in Rodmaker

Word of Mouth

Internet Contacts

This Board

Vendor Customer Lists Featuring the Vendors Name Who Makes the Contact by Attendees.

Do Will What I Can ( Estimate at least 60% pre show if worked hard )

The above can be done on Gold, Silver and Holo ahed of time and be ready for pick up at registration desk

The rest done at the registration desk/hotel lobby up to 60 per hour on white vinyl

Cost of paper and badge holders only -

I will do all the work pro bono

You can allow this and help or stop it right now

Your Choice

Date: August 01, 2009 11:29AM

"I will do all the work pro bono." Great, do it. As long as it doesn't add to my workload in any way I'm all for it.

A couple things to remember - The internet only reaches about 100 to 150 of the Expo attendees. That's why events that rely mostly on internet advertising don't draw very well. So you'll have to do a bit of work to get the word out to everybody. I can run a news release in the News column of the magazine and that will reach another 1000 of the attendees, but the remainder will be up to you. I can't put such a notice in any of the print advertising I do for the Expo.

We don't have a registration desk at the Showplace - just a ticket counter. The ticket counter sees about 500 people through the door in just the first hour or so. It's a rush and it's not going to be the type situation where we can stop to make a badge for each person or have them pick up a pre-made badge. It would result in total congestion so that part is out - we're too busy just getting people through the door on Saturday morning.

You can try doing some of this at the hotel desk, but remember that only about 1/4 of the people who attend the Expo stay at the Hotel High Point. There are 4 or 5 other hotels in the immediate area that attendees utilize as well, so you'll have to cover those too.

I would be happy to provide a list of the national and regional magazines I buy Expo advertising in if you would like to utilize those resources as well. You'll have to figure out if the cost to advertise in them can be offset by the nominal cost of the badges. But this is where roughly 1/2 of the attendees are reached.

Obviously, the logistics of doing this for 53 people and for 2000 people using several different hotels is going to be quite different. Do the best you can and we'll see what happens.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: August 01, 2009 12:11PM

I think you hit who you can and the others will be looking for it. I'm ordering mine in advance.

Easy solution for preorders would be a table set up with the badges simply laid out. I'd suggest this for the reception Friday as that's where last year's name tags were used up first and would not involve the hotel staff. Common procedure for conference name tag pick up.

Obviously not everyone comes to the reception, so a simple table behind the ticket booth with the name tags laid out off to the side would work easily.

Won't hit everyone, but would be an easy solution for distributing the premades.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 01, 2009 12:13PM

If Bill wants to do it I'll spring for the tables.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 10:24PM

I may have made a bad suggestion. It dawned on me this afternoon that there were over a thousand name tags on the table behind the ticket counter last year. Anybody that wanted a name badge could have picked one up for free. There was a table filled with them and pens to fill them out with. I guess they aren’t really popular with the masses. Sorry. I just forgot about the fact that name tags are already available.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster