I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts on a new rod
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.boi.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 06:01PM

I am building a rod for a friend. The basic parameters are 6' to 6' 6" spinning rod, to handle 4 to 6 pound line, and handle 1/4oz lures, or a bubble and fly. I like St.Croix blanks, so I dug out the catalog. I was looking at the 2 piece SC III 3S66LF2 blank. This is rated for 4-8# line, and 1/16 to 1/4 oz. lures. I talked to my friend, and he said that he often uses 1/4 oz sinkers, plus terminal tackle. This would put the weight well over 1/4 oz, so I ordered a 2 piece SC III 3S66MLF2 blank. This is supposed to handle 4-10 # line, and 1/8 to 3/8 oz. lures. I have to say that I haven't built or used anything heavier then an Ultra Lite spinning rod in the last 25 years. I now have this blank, and compaired to what I have been dealing with, it feels like a steel rod. To compound my misgivings in picking this blank, I checked with my friend and he said he uses an ultra lite reel, and the factory recommended reel seat is for a light to medium reel.

I know these are probably beginner questions, but they are things I really haven't had to deal with: Did I do an over kill in picking the heavier blank? How do you figure out where to place the reel seat to balance the rod with a lighter then normal (for the blank) reel?

I am over my head here, and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on a new rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2009 06:37PM

Don't locate the seat in any attempt to balance the blank. That compromises the extra length, which is going to give him additional casting distance and "feel" (the fish is going to have a longer lever and knows what to do with it).

The rear handle need only be long enough to allow him to fight the fish off his forearm rather than his wrist.

I do feel the LF would have been better than the MLF for his purposes. You can either put that one in stock (it's still a great blank) and order him another or swap it with your dealer.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 12:30AM

Mike,
For pitching 1/4 oz jigs, you have the optimum blank.
I would put a back grip of 8 inches on this rod, and call it good. It will balance well with an 8 inch back grip.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 09:37PM

Mike, for waht you are describing the 3C66LF is a good choice, however if your friend is going to throw heavier line / lure
(i.e. 8 lb. , with weights to 3/8+) I'd go with the 66MLF it's a good all around spin rod..

Roger just a question - why an 8" rear grip, I usually go 6.5 - 7" on a 6'6" spin rod?

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: July 31, 2009 03:32PM

I wouldnt try to balance it with the reel seat. The MLF is great for jigging walleyes but I agree with Tom, an LF would have worked better in your case. Good Luck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 11:05AM

Why the LF ? I always read that the sweet spot is usually in the middle of the lure weight range. And if the owner is going to use heavier weight to throw ??? Are you thinking because it is a fast blank and will handle a little more weight ?

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster