I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just Getting Started
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: July 29, 2009 01:33PM

Hey guys new to building and wanted to start making bass fishing rods for my father and I, and maybe a few friends to start. I wanted to get your opinion on what Rod Wrapper I should purchase. I am interested in a hand wrapper, and I noticed that FlexCoat makes a hand wrapper. I would rather purchase than make my own to start. Maybe down the line I will construct my own. Any advice would be great. Any other essentials I should get to start? Sorry for such a basic question but I gotta start somewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just Getting Started
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 02:13PM

i recommend a cardboard box and telephone book to start. after you have wrapped a few rods you will better understand your techniques. this will in turn allow you to be more informed about what you need so you pick the right wrapper for you. i personally like the sully's and eco-wrapper and have both. each has pros and cons. there are many good wrappers out there and all do the job.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 02:16PM

Get some CD's on building and Tom K's book There is also a Search funtion of this site for questions and plenty of nfo

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 02:23PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2009 02:24PM

The basic Flex Coat hand wrapper will serve you well. The model with the additional free standing support is very worthwhile. This will make building those first rods much, much easier.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 02:43PM

I agree with Tom, the Flex Coat wrapper is a perfect fit for the beginner. Flex Coat also offers a small book titled "Step by Step Rod Building" along with a CD titled "Flex Coat Rod Building "How We Do It"". Both are inexpensive and well worth while for someone just starting. The CD really simplifies the beginning craft and also shows methods of wrapping without a ready built wrapper. Best of luck in starting this great craft.

Vern

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 02:48PM

Just my 2 cents worth...I started by making very simple rod supports (3 of them) out of scrap 1X6 material. That took all of 10 minutes. I recommend you purchase the @#$%& thread tension device (Mudhole carries it)...it works beautifully. That's really all you need to get started. A drying motor to turn the rod when you apply the finish is nice to have as well, but not an absolute necessity. If you have a BBQ rotisserie motor, you can use that.

Get some masking tape and single edge blades and you are good to go.

That will tell you if building is something you want to pursue. If it isn't, you are out $20 or so for equipment. If it becomes an addiction, you're in good company.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:01PM

Jay use the Directory at the top of this page and make arrangements to visit a rodbuilder nearby. It will greatly speed your learning curve and you will probably meet one who you can call a friend for life!

You will be absolutely amazed at how fast you can develop skills with a minimum of upfront expenses.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:04PM

Mudhole also offers some very nice FREE videos online:

[www.mudhole.com]

Great place to start and get a feel before you buy anything.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:05PM

The Flex Coat wrapper will suit you well I have 1 I still that I use from time to time.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:27PM

Jay, Give karen and I a call, we would like to help you out with your questions and supplies. Thank you Scott

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 05:26PM

I, too am a novice, but one of the best things I did was to attend the Expo & go to the seminars. What an education!!

Posted by: Will Graham (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 06:57PM

These Videos might be worth a look.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster