I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA Shaping question
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 11:41AM

I have done very little work with eva grips. Most of my builds (saltwater included) have been made with cork rings (I bought 10,000 rings on a very special deal in the 1970s and still have a lot left). I love working with cork: after gluing up a grip, I just shape it on my combination belt/disc sander. It shapes easily but doesn't cut too quickly, and the results are always good.
A few days ago I glued up a handle on a saltwater grouper rod using eva foam. When I began shaping it on the disc sander, I was struck by how quickly it cuts. Conversely, when I tried to sand out the high ridges left by the disc sander (which never happens with cork), I realized I was going to be forever and a day working by hand with a sandpaper-wood block combination. The material just seems not to cut easily by hand.

Any suggestions as to what tool(s) I should buy to take the grip down by hand? Sureform rasp? Flat file? In the future I will likely shape the eva on my rod lathe, probably using the sanding screen sold by Mudhole, but I'm open to suggestions in this area as well. For now, I just need to ix the grip I have started. Because the grip is "out of round", using the lathe probably isn't going to be the best option so I want to do it by hand.

The good news is that the rod is a personal one, so I am not under a time crunch.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

-Gary

Success is the result of making good choices. Making good choices is the result of experience. Experience is often the result of making bad choices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA Shaping question
Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 12:13PM

I use Dry Wall screen on a board then smooth it up with 220 grit sandpaper.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 12:40PM

I use the dry wall screen to sand eva as well, hit it with 220, 440, and then 1500. Topping off with that 1500 gives the EVA a totally different feel IMO and takes it a little past a normal EVA handle.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 01:33PM

Shaping:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Screen finish

Works so fast you feet will never hurt from standing in place!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 01:34PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: July 29, 2009 02:22PM

Can I assume drywall screen is NOT the same thing as the fiberglass drywall tape I use to build up the blank under a reel seat?

Heading to the local big box home improvement store to buy some. Thanks!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:18PM

You assumed correctly ! Get it in 2 grits , med and fine.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sub-75-216-63.myvzw.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:47PM

Or you could ask a local janitorial service for some of the round floor scrubbing screens. Even if they are used you can get about 50 grips worth of sanding out of them. Just cut them into strips. I found a box at an @#$%&, 12 screens, enough to last my lifetime, $2.00 for the box.

Date: July 29, 2009 07:52PM

Thank you all. I now have new tools in the arsenal (drywall screen, a callous remover and 1500 grit paper), and will be sourcing some floor-stripping screens tomorrow.

First thing in the morning the handle will be lovingly shaped with a vengeance...and a week from now, well, I wouldn't want to be a resident of the Gulf Stream off east central Florida.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 12:39AM

Gary,
If you don't have the grip glued to the blank and if you have a lathe, chuck it in the lathe and shpe it up in a few minutes.
The lathe, will quickly get it round and then will shape very quickly.
For EVA, I simply start with 80 grit paper and work up to 400 grit.
One important thing to do, especially if the grip is out of round and that is to use a backing board on the sandpaper. The backing board will quickly form the grip round and then the progressive paper will quickly bring it to the shape and finish you want.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 30, 2009 02:23AM

I thank you for this. The grip is on the rod, and the only lathe I have is the wrapping lathe (the American Tackle power wrapper). At some point in the near future I will remedy that: I can see more and more applications for a good lathe.
To paraphrase someone on another board, my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing and rod building equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Date: July 30, 2009 09:21AM

Well guys, the grip is fixed. It took all of 10 minutes. Underwraps, cp and a thin coat of finish are on tap for today, then guides and overwraps on Saturday.

Alex, where can I find 1500 grit sandpaper? When I emptied the bag my wife brought back from the local Home Cheapo, the sanding screens were there. She bought 400 grit paper...the finest grade they had. It was also something I already have. I'd like to try the 1500.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: July 30, 2009 11:20AM

For the finer grits, try the local auto supplier that has painting supplies.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: July 31, 2009 07:43AM

yep any automotive paint supply store will have the finer grits it is used for sanding imperfections out of a paint job before buffing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster