I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Fore Grip
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 12:08AM

I am about to start building a Batson RX7 9' 10wt 4pc blank for use at Christmas Island . Are there any issues or problems with adding a fore grip to this blank?

My last trip there the Giant Trevally wore me out trying to single hand them!

Phishin Phool

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Fore Grip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2009 08:42AM

The tendency when using such a long rod on very powerful fish is to reach up on the rod to reduce the leverage advantage the fish has on the angler. If you reach too far, you go past the most powerful part of the rod; the part that should be bearing the brunt of the fight. At that point you effectively put the load on a section of blank that wasn't designed to handle it and the result will be a broken rod.

If you decide to add a foregrip, I'd suggest something such as the RodMaker grip shown in one of the grip templates from the magazine - add a 4 inch integral fighting grip onto the standard 7 to 7-1/2 inch grip. This allows you to cast normally but regain just a bit of leverage in the fish fighting mode by sliding your hand an additional 4 or 5 inches forward when needed.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 01:29PM

Phil,
One of my favorite fishing destinations in the world is Kirabiti, Christmas Island. I've spent about 3 months there fishing for everything from bones to Black Marlin.
I have found that a 10wt. is good for the GT's that are under the 40 pound class anything over that calls for a 12wt or larger blank particually if fishing from a boat over deep water. A 10wt just doesn't have enough guts in the butt section to get his head up if he's under your feet and you are forced to fight the fish straight up and down. You'll end up losing flylines and tippets or breaking the rod.
If you want to add a fighting grip do not split the grip from the casting portion of the grip, if you do you will end up putting your hand in the section between the two. The overall length of the grip that we use on our 12 wts is 12.5 inches. For a 10wt a grip of 11 inches is about right. The diameter should be 1 inch or more to reduce stress on the hand, those fighting grips you see on most big game fly rods are useless.
Another way to measure the right size for you is to measure from the end of the fighting butt up to where you feel comfortable gripping the rod without locking your elbow out. Mark the space between your ring and middle finger and add two inches. If you are of average size that distance should be around 16 inches or so. Therefore the overall length of the fighting butt, reel seat and casting/fighting grip will be 18 inches.
Hope that's not too confusing.

Michael A Taylor
Bluewater Fly Tackle

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 02:58PM

This site may give you some info on rods to handle those hefty ones - [www.meiserflyrods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 27, 2009 03:06PM

Thanks to all for their responses. I have fished Kiribati numerous times always wading (don't like fishing from a boat (maybe because I get sea sick) and have found a 10wt adequate for the Trevally found in the surf and flats.

I am interested in Tom and Mike's suggegstions for actually just lengthening the grip. Sounds logical.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 27, 2009 06:31PM

The grip that Batson uses for their switch rod blanks, looks very much like the grip Tom discribed and the part number makes me believe that saltwater rods was it's original intent. The part number is SW 1175S-300.

Date: July 27, 2009 10:31PM

Thanks again to all who have responded, I'm going to go with the extended grip rather than a separate fore grip. As I build all my own grips, I can do some experimenting before the final.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2009 12:40AM

I think this is what Tom is referring too, it works really well....

[www.beulahflyrods.com]

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2009 08:43AM

The grip we introduced wasn't shaped quite like that, but is at least similar. Everything is made together so you don't have 2 separate pieces.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster