I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy and Finisher
Posted by: Will Graham (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 05:16PM

From what I understand epoxy is used for handle, real seat, and tip top. And then rod finisher is used for guides and hook keeper. Correct me if that is wrong. My question is I need to buy some of each for my first rod, it's a fly rod, and I was wondering what brand and type to get for each. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy and Finisher
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2009 06:28PM

There are two main types sold for custom rod building - epoxy adhesive and epoxy thread finish. They're very similar but different enough that you do not want to try and substitute one for the other.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2009 06:38PM

Will, I use regular epoxy to glue up the reel seat components, tip top, and winding check. To glue the cork and reel seat to the blank I use a product called Rod Bond. For thread finish, my vote goes to Thread Master Lite. I have also used Flex Coat Lite with decent results, but I still prefer the Thread Master Lite. I also use the regular build Thread Master for repair work. From all that I have read on thread finishes, there aren't really any bad ones, it comes down to mixing equal amounts and mixing time, along with personal preference. I'm sure some of the more experienced builders will chime in on this.
The Rod Bond is real nice stuff to work with, its a paste type of epoxy and can be bought from several of the sponsors to the left along with the regular epoxy. I use the Flex Coat brand of that stuff, but I don't think there is much of a difference in the different epoxies. I just wouldn't get the 5 minute set up stuff. It really doesn't give you a long enough work time to line parts up and if you happen to use to much and it gets on areas that will show, its difficult to clean up. Hope this helps and have fun with the build!

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2009 08:13PM

Will, I would like to invite you to take a look at FishSticks. We stock all of the items you are looking for. Not to be prejudice but I like the ThreadMaster also. Let Karen and I help you out and have a great day. Thanks

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: July 26, 2009 09:02PM

2 thumbs up on rod bond and threadmaster!

i still use flexcoat epoxy glue for individual cork rings, though i use rod bond for almost everything else (butt caps, reel seats, eva and cork grips)

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 09:38PM

Be aware that there are two basic types of epoxy finish for coating your wraps: high build and regular build (or lite build). For a fly rod in particular, you might want to use the lite build formula. It's personal preference, of course, but most of my clients prefer the light build for their fly rods.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 01:03AM

For the guide wraps I've used Perma Gloss on my last few builds and really like it. I especially like the way it covers the little 3mm guides and tip tops. I understand it's a favorite for many fly rod builders. For decorative wraps I'll use TM Lite or Classic Coat. For Tiger Wraps and ramps I'll use TM High Build. There are quite a few options and each has its advantages and quirks. If you just want to start with one epoxy for the wraps I think any of the Lite builds will work just fine. As you get hooked and have three or four rods in production at a time you'll want to try some of the other options to optimize your results.

For an adhesive; grips, rings, seats, etc. there are at least as many options. Rod Bond is an all around great adhesive for just about any application where the glue lines won't be visible. If you're working with cork rings or EVA inlays/rings you'll want a good contact cement or one of the fast setting epoxies. For reel seats you can arbor them and glue up with the Rod Bond but I like expanding foam to fill the seat and create a full arbor. Anyway... until you're hooked you can probably get away with just the Rod Bond.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 09:47AM

Since this is your first rod, no matter which ones you choose I suggest you give a trial run on the finish epoxy over a dowel wrapped with thread. This way you can iron out your technique and relax when you actually finish the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster