I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Distance from tip to first guide - general rule
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 08:15AM

I remember reading a "rule of thumb" that the distance between the tip and the first guide (smallest) should generally be between _____ inches and _____ inches but never more than ______ inches. I understand static distribution and guide spacing theories, I just was trying to remember this "rule". Did a few searches but came up empty. I think the post was made by Tom.

Also, would this rule apply to long surf rods as well as short, ultra-light trout rods?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distance from tip to first guide - general rule
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 08:25AM

Check the library under the article New Guide Concept Primer...step 5
steve

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 09:12AM

That was it!
Thanks, Steve.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.devivoenterprises.com)
Date: July 26, 2009 10:23AM

Hah, Rich Forhans seminar at High Point this past year RUINED me for guide spacing. I used to spend WAY too much time doing a static distribution.....after listening to Rich's 5 6 7 8 spacing I was ruined. I usually start at 4 - 4.5" for the first guide then add a half in for each subsequent guide....sometime's an inch. that get's them in the ballpark...then I'll load it up and check the line path....about 90% of the time it looks great.....

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 02:03PM

Scott,
For most fast action blanks I will start at 4 inches and go from there.
On some of the lighter extra fast blanks I will drop as low as 3 inches. These are blanks that are extremely fast and have a very small radius at the tip under load.
For some of the fast action blanks that I build, I will stay at 4 inches for the first three guides. i.e. the blank has a relatively constant diameter for the first foot, and needs the continuous support that guides at 4 inch spacing give.

Bottom line -
On a blank that I have never built on before - I will simply put the tip under heavy stress as if it were landing a fish. I will typically put one guide on the location where the tip has its initial bend. Then, I will put one more guide between that point and the tip.

If, the tip has a moderate or slow action, the guides can be spaced much further apart. Also, the taper will be more pronounced in these type blanks and will be able to use a more progressive spacing.

Bottom line, start bending the rod from the tip, and place guides at the places where the rod bends and are needed to allow the line to follow the contour of the loaded blank.

If the line is not following the bend of the loaded blank - add a guide or decrease the spacing between the guides.

Remember, as you near the butt of the rod, with its heavy section, the line doesn't bend and doesn't need any support. On longer heavier rods, it is not unusual to to have an initial guide spacing above the first butt guide at 12-30 inches.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 04:48PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott,
> For most fast action blanks I will start at 4
> inches and go from there.
> On some of the lighter extra fast blanks I will
> drop as low as 3 inches. These are blanks that are
> extremely fast and have a very small radius at the
> tip under load.
> For some of the fast action blanks that I build, I
> will stay at 4 inches for the first three guides.
> i.e. the blank has a relatively constant diameter
> for the first foot, and needs the continuous
> support that guides at 4 inch spacing give.

If you're fighting a fish on your fast / extra fast rod, and holding the rod up between 45 and 60 degrees, how much of your tip section is pointed straight at the fish? Thanks.

Date: July 26, 2009 06:24PM

For an extra fast rod, about 12-15 inches will be pointed at the fish.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 11:55AM

Just a tip to make laying out guides easier is to use metric measurements, it is a lot easier to work in mm instead of fractions of an inch.

Posted by: Mo Yang (70.99.98.---)
Date: July 28, 2009 12:32AM

Roger,

Wow, 3 inches between guides? That's really close to each other.

Does anyone else on this forum do that?

I do a lot of UL builds I have been trying to stretch it out to use less guides. Of course, I am very careful about my rods so I've not broken any. I've been experimenting (not many) with having a good bit of distance between the tip and the 1st guide. Sometimes up to five inches because tet bend on the 1st guide is generally less than at guide #2 and so on.

Anyone else see the need for 3 inch spacing? Just checking to see what the community thinks.

Mo

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2009 08:40AM

Re: Distance from tip to first guide - general rule new
Date: July 26, 2009 06:24PM

For an extra fast rod, about 12-15 inches will be pointed at the fish.
Take care
Roger

Mo Yang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger,
>
> Wow, 3 inches between guides? That's really close
> to each other.
>
> Does anyone else on this forum do that?
>
> I do a lot of UL builds I have been trying to
> stretch it out to use less guides. Of course, I
> am very careful about my rods so I've not broken
> any. I've been experimenting (not many) with
> having a good bit of distance between the tip and
> the 1st guide. Sometimes up to five inches
> because tet bend on the 1st guide is generally
> less than at guide #2 and so on.
>
> Anyone else see the need for 3 inch spacing? Just
> checking to see what the community thinks.
>
> Mo

If the rod tip is straight for 12"-15", then I don't see the need of closely spacing guides as MO has reasoned. Unless there's an issue of snapping off the tip by casting too heavy a weight.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: July 28, 2009 11:50PM

I typically use the rod length plus one for running guides and then add a tip top. I'll locate the choker guide (27 X spool diameter = distance from spool face) and then work toward the tip from there...it usually comes out around 4-inches to the first guide. I have evenly spaced them before (divide distance from chocker to tip into equal segments as long as they are not over 5-inches) and this works, too.

I like the first guide around 4-inches. Works well for me and the line follows the natural curve of the blank when stressed.

Les

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster