I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spin-Cast Reels?
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: July 25, 2009 08:04PM

I built a rod for my wife and it's a 6' light action on one of the Mud Hole pink blanks. The dilema that I have is that she doesn't like a spinning reel, she wants a spin-cast rod. I bought her a Zebco Omega [www.zebco.com] and she likes the reel, but it weighs a ton. I have had issues with the Diawa's that she has currently been using so I'd like to try some thing else. If you have any ideas of a light reliable spin-cast reel please let me know. Thanks Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spin-Cast Reels?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: July 25, 2009 09:16PM

Check out the Pfleuger's. I have fished the trigger spin style and they are great. Very nice looking too with the wood knob handle. The mid size reel is very nice, as is the ultra-lite.

Good luck,
Marc

Posted by: James Roper (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 25, 2009 10:50PM

Take a look at the Abu-Garcia spin cast reels. They make several different sizes. I have several of the older models that have the star drag system. They are smooth casting and strong reels. The new models have done away with the star drag and have a drag ring around the reel body. They appear to be a good reel also. My wife likes to use hers.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 26, 2009 12:41AM

Mark,

Take a look at the Johnson Scorpion underspins. They are red and silver, which would go very well with that rod. They come in a couple different sizes and are very light, but quality made with ball bearing drives. I got one for my 7 year old nephew, and he LOVES it.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mo Yang (70.99.98.---)
Date: July 26, 2009 02:25AM

Here you go. 6 oz, interchangeable spools. CETINA model.

[www.pfluegerfishing.com]

Mo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 02:09PM

Mark,
Many many years ago I was out fishing with my children. For the XXX time in the day their spin casting reel ended up jammed with line.

I asked the child to hand over the rod and reel.
I took the inexpensive spin casting reel off the rod and pitched it as hard as I could across the lake.

I vowed from that time forward never to have another spin casting reel in my boat.

That is still true today.

I hear your feeling about your wife liking the ease of use of a spin casting reel. I also know that there may be one or two spin casting reels on the market today which work well with few problems.

However, I have found that even with my youngest relatives today that I good day of attentive coaching can change the minds of using a spinning reel rather than a spin casting reel.

At least for the folks around here, I have found that if the time is spent coaching the end result is a much happier fisher person with a spinning reel, rather than a spin casting reel.

Face it, line jams and snarls are a part of fishing. At least with a spinning reel, when a twist, or jam occurs, it is obvious and much easier to clean up.

If you do want to stay with the spin casting design, the advice about certain ABU and certain Diawa models are pretty trouble free units. You do have to pick and choose the right one, but you do find that some of the units are pretty good today.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 26, 2009 07:03PM

Mark, i have to agree with Roger. i have NEVER!!! met a Spincast reel that i liked! i realize that does not help you much. However i would try to teach the'' Wee Bride'' to learn to love spinning reels. just my two cents worth, Cheers!!!

Posted by: Mo Yang (70.99.98.---)
Date: July 27, 2009 12:37AM

Don't mean to be contrary to you guys who strongly dislike spincast reel. I use a spin reel. However, for my younger son, I rigged him up with an ultralight trigger spin cast reel loaded with UL BRAIDED line., It has been 100% trouble free and he has landed countless trout and crappie on that rig. I mean absolutely trouble free the entire two years. He also casts a good distance with that reel. I think the trick is to use a high quality braided line.

Mo

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 07:30AM

Thanks for the advice guy's. While I understand that the spin reels may have a better drag and I personally like them better, after 18 yrs of marrage I also understand she doesn't like change (lol). Mo I really like the look of the Pfluger and will have to make a trip to Cabela's and see how they feel. Thanks again Mark.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 09:13AM

Mark - That Pflueger Cetina is really nice. I've test casted - very smooth and just really nice. Really ups the ante on spin cast reels IMO. I haven't fished with it all day, so no reference there.

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster