I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with fly rod thread color
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2009 10:47AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have one single small snake guide to replace for a friend of mine, the pic above is of a guide on the same rod. The only thread I can find on a color chart that looks to match this thread is a size C Trimar Goldtone in #541G gold and brown color. Before I order this thread, is it the right one? Is size C correct? It looks to be an A to me, and the bone color bands are paint, not thread, so no worry there. I only have the tip section of the rod, but I'd guess the fly rod to be a 3-5WT if that helps.

Thanks!

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with fly rod thread color
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2009 11:03AM

Dr
That does look good. If you have the thread from the guide you are replacing, the underside will show the true color of the thread
Also you can send the picture to your supplier - if you can crop it - make smaller, and see what he things.

Waite for a few more posts to be sure. You may have to order several different spools. That just adds to your collection

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 11:17AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2009 11:58AM

I believe you have the old Gudebrod Varigated gold/black thread. A little hard to make out from the photo. Do you know who the maker of the rod is? It looks like an older glass rod which would put it in the right era for that thread.

Date: July 23, 2009 12:08PM

All I have is the tip section and I can call and get the rest if I have too. It was given to me by my Musky fishing buddy and the owner is a friend of his. Here is another pic or 2 if it helps Tom:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Date: July 23, 2009 12:27PM

That's a better photo. I'd have to back off the idea that it's black and gold. The brown and gold is more likely after seeing that. Not sure how close you can match it with modern thread.

Date: July 23, 2009 03:10PM

Will the sz C thread be noticeable as being larger if the rod has A on it?

DR

Date: July 23, 2009 05:18PM

Only very slightly, but it will be noticeable to anyone with a very sharp eye.

Date: July 23, 2009 05:44PM

Guess it will have to do unless one of you guys out there has a spool of that thread and would let a fellow have enough to wrap one snake with. I saved most all of the thread off the repair, just havent tries re-using it...but may. I have ordered a new spool of the brown/gold already, so I have a backup if I have to end up using the C size.

DR

Posted by: eric zamora (---.sub-75-209-184.myvzw.com)
Date: July 24, 2009 04:50AM

could it be yellow and black jasper (like the more modern gudebrod classic twist) but over time faded by sun? also, the thread finish seems thin. perhaps spar varnish was used originally which would add a warmer amber tint to the thread and lead to the thinner look of the finish. just taking this in a different direction...

eric
fresno, ca..

Date: July 24, 2009 09:03AM

I'm almost sure it's varnish Eric, and it was applied so thin that I could save the thread in one piece.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster