I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip question
Posted by: Jeff Bodnar (198.232.70.---)
Date: July 22, 2009 10:16AM

For years I used hairspray to hold the grips on my golf clubs. On the golf clubs the hairspray lubricated the shaft to make it easier to slide the grip on and when it dried the grip held fast. Has anyone here tried this on their grips?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2009 11:19AM

Jeff,
For EVA grips which need to stretch on large rods, I see no reason as to why this shouldn't work.
Give it a try and let us know.
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2009 11:21AM

I always thought of hair spray as a clear lacquer spray. Don't think it would hold up for grips. I have used it to coat decals before a clear coat.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2009 12:05PM

Bill,
In principle, I agree with your thoughts.
However, as I said in my reply, if the fellow has had good look with a stretched grip on a golf club, and if one were to use a STRETCHED eva grip - I would guess that it would work fine.
A stretched EVA grip really doesn't need much adhesive to hold it quite securely.

Of course, the hair spray would NOT apply to the reel seat.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2009 01:01PM

I understand, yet I don't use eva.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.63.---)
Date: July 22, 2009 01:45PM

I am like Bill I do not use much Eva. Question is, I my younger years I used hair spray to hold my DA hair style in place. That stuff would set up right away, not much working time. As for Eva it has to have a tight fit to work properly. It well stay in place by its own tight fit. When I have used Eva in the past I used Rod Bond. I know a couple of rod builders that use shaving cream just for a lubricant to slide the grip on and they have had no problem. I might add, When I have had to remove a grip that I have installed with Rod Bond, I was amassed at what little bond was on the grip. My grips fight tight , So most of the RB was scrape off when the grip was applied.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2009 02:55PM

Bob, mine do the same. I have found the requirement of rod bond is mainly for lubrication to slide down rather than to actually hold the grip there. 90% of the adhesive is gone by the time it gets to its final destination. I use mineral spirits as an additional aid when I have a significant stretch or long push to do (3/4" ID to say .922 butt or so).

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.63.---)
Date: July 22, 2009 07:37PM

Sean sounds like me also. That little bit of lubricant helps reshape the grip when reshaping

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster