I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Through Rear Grip for Stand-up Rod
Posted by: Joe Brava (199.89.103.---)
Date: July 21, 2009 04:35PM

I have built two offshore rods (one spiral wrapped standup and one spiral wrapped tuna jigging stick) both rods with a "blank through" butt construction using a slick butt or tuff butt type nylon sleeve for the rear grip to facilitate removal from a boat rod holder.

I am looking to build two 30lb class and two 50lb class standup tuna rods on Calstar blanks. I wanted to build using a similar blank-through construction. Both will be used for chunking and trolling duty for tuna so I don't want an EVA or Hypalon rear grip.

The 30lb blank has a 0.68" OD at the reel seat and a 0.84" maximum diamater. The 50lb blank is a little larger diameter. I didn't want to go with a unibutt/ferrule style construction.

What are my options for building a blank-through butt (aluminum or nylon) for these types/size rods? I saw some old catalogs with one-piece Aftco "bored" aluminum butts but from the specs these seem a little too narrow bore to fit these sized blanks.

I have the RodMakers magazine issue on Stand-up rod construction but it doesn't go into much depth on the options for a blank-through construction butt.

Thanks,
Joe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Through Rear Grip for Stand-up Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2009 04:43PM

You can cover it with anything that will easily hold up to your rod holders and not create any problems with getting the rods out of the holders when under pressure.

You might want to consult with Mike Pederson at Riley Rods about his foam-core, carbon-skinned grips. He's using these just as you propose to do with the grips on your rods. It's one more option to consider.

Beyond that, the hard nylon tuff or slick butts are pretty hard to beat.

And there is always the old stand-by bored wood butts.

Posted by: Joe Brava (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2009 11:33PM

Thanks Tom. I will have a look at Riley Rods. If anyone has an aluminum but suggestion I'd like to hear that also.

Joe.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (142.166.47.---)
Date: July 22, 2009 07:09AM

Stick with the slick butts. Those cannot be beat..imo...

There are bottle butts with seats that can meet that diameter. or you can trim a couple of inches off the butt where it is the most wide with out any issues.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2009 09:41AM

The slick butts are nice --but weight a ton !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2009 02:51PM

Joe, The Stuart Tackle TuffButt may be exactly what you are looking for, basically a full length blank through style of unibutt. Difference is its not aluminum on the outside.

Posted by: Joe Brava (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2009 09:57PM

Thanks Sean,

My only hesitation with theTuffButt was the nylon gimbal (I prefer aluminum there) but it looks like the gimbal is a separate component so I may try to just put an aluminum one in its place.

Thanks,
Joe.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2009 10:35AM

When you order you could probably have the supplier switch it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 01:47AM

I use tuna cord and the green halibut leader real tuna cord is actually seine cord used for repair of large nets and the green halibut leader is a hard lay nylon.

I scuff the blank with 400 grit paper and then apply a coating of U40 and then wrap on the cord from the tip end to the butt you'll need to twist and pack the cord from the butt end to the tip starting at the tip end, yes you get quite messy with the rod bond but in order to get the tension on the wraps you need to push, twist and snug it up good before the U40 sets.

I've raised a serious blister on my left thumb building these but it makes a hard and very long lasting grip and blisters heal. :)

Here's a pic of an ATX 60XH 50-80# stand up tuna stick that I recently did with a cord wrap deckhand style grip, this grip will outlast me.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 24, 2009 02:17AM

Here's another one (Work in progress) that's all black and using # 48 cord.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Joe Brava (199.89.103.---)
Date: July 24, 2009 09:30AM

Jan,

Stellar looking grips. Where do you get the cord that you use? I am not familiar with them.

Thanks,
Joe.

Date: July 24, 2009 12:35PM

I get my cord at a place called Englund Marine here in Eureka Ca. most places that cater to commercial fishermen have the stuff on hand.

This is the company that makes the black cord I use.

[catlinefishing.com]

I think Acid Rod (C&M tackle) carries the black stuff too and can probably get the green cord as well.

Date: July 25, 2009 07:05PM

Joe, Just FYI Janns Netcraft carries the hard braid green stuff under net repair.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster