I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to repair my favorite rod?
Posted by: Jim Williams (173.87.39.---)
Date: July 21, 2009 02:34PM

I don't know how I broke my rod. I was on the floor on the carpet with my 3 piece rod....rigging the line through the guides while the rod was still in three pieces lying on the floor. You see I do this because first of all it is an 11' rod and I have a ceiling fan.....

But secondly it fits nicely in a cheap gun case from Wal Mart. I can lay the three sections in it all rigged up with a fly. When I get to the water all I have to do is open it up, place the sections together and pick the fly out, that is stuck in the foam and I am ready to go. Line is loose in the case so no kinks from being stretched tight.

Anyway back to the main problem. Somehow the tip section got broken. Is is now a four piece rod that won't work.

Broke it 11.5 inches down from the tip top. Broken part of the tip section is plenty clear of the guide above it...3-4 inches. The other half of the broken tip section....the break is about 1" from a guide...and I notice it it splitting at the break point.

Can I slide something inside the bottom broken piece at the break....with glue...and have an inch of the piece still sticking out...and slide the tip section over it and match them up. Then wrap with thread and epoxy it?

Or slide a splint over the outside and glue it up with no piece put in the inside hollow part?

Or boaf?

I don't know how to do it an have the least effect on the tip section of the rods normal performance.

It is a Cabelas rod discontinued. I know that for a fact. But it only says on the rod.....
Float Tuber 11' 6wt Made in Korea

So far I haven't been able to find someone who wants to part with one. I sure like that rod.

Wonder if I should have it repaired by a professional?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to repair my favorite rod?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2009 02:43PM

here is one place to look: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2009 02:56PM

An over-sleeve will be your absolute best bet, particularly in that upper, very small diameter tip section.

You can read all about repairing such a break in the repair article on the online library page here.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2009 03:21PM

Please pay attention to the type of repair stock used. You ALWAYS want to use repair stock with LESS modulas than the current rod is constructed of. Usually that would be a thin walled fiberglass stock, as per the repair article.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 03:23PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2009 04:02PM

Jim,
As the others have suggested:
1. Remove the guide from near the break.
2. Clean up the area where the guide was located.
3. size a piece of glass blank material to fit inside the two sides of the break.
4. size a piece of blank material to be a nice fit for the outside of the break area.
5. Do NOT trim any of the break area, You want to be able to interlock the break areas back together.
6. Pre fit the inner sleeve, the outer sleeve and the break itself back together for a good fit.
7. Place the outer sleeve on the blank and slide it up the blank, to clear the broken area.
8. Mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy - and glue all of the pieces together with the same epoxy batch. That is why you want every thing pre fit and ready to slide in place because you will only have about 2 minutes of good working time.
9. Use alcohol to remove any excess epoxy from the patched area.
10. Wrap the ends of the patch and also wrap the guide back in place.
11. Apply a finish coat to the wraps and guide wrap - turning to keep from sagging and then go fishing.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2009 06:04PM

You have been given very good advice, and depending on what the rod is worth to you and your confidence in your ability to make the repair, you have 2 options.

1) Repair yourself using this board and its library of invaluable information as a guide.

2) Seek someone who is well versed in fly rods and repairing them. I will flat out tell you I'm not one of those such people, but there are many on this board. It will likely cost you a good bit for a well done professional repair however as it is all hand done labor.

Date: July 21, 2009 11:49PM

Thanks you all for the help and the messages of information. I have tried to find some other blank I haven't built yet...and just replace the whole tip but have found nothing that fits onto my currend rod's midsection tip.

Sean thanks. I was wondering if I could pay to have it done. I am kind of between a rock and a hard spot. I don't have a lot of discretionary money. I thought about having it done....and as you said, I figured it would be costly because of the labor time.

Having said that.....I would appreciate anyone giving me a quote via my e-mail @ gemrod_whitewolf@yahoo.com.

I don't want to do the repair and then see it break again. As I said I truly like the heck out of this rod and it is no longer attainable.

Thanks again Tom, Roger, Bill, William and Sean

Jim

Date: July 22, 2009 09:43AM

You might be better off just building your self a new rod. A lot of nice blanks out there and some good prices.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 22, 2009 10:02PM

Thanks to you guys I found someone to do the repair very reasonable. Already shipped rod off in a tube to him.
Thanks also Bill for providing your website. Added it to my favorites list.

Jim

Date: July 23, 2009 10:49AM

Jim
That used to be a five page site

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster