I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RodMaker Volume 12 #4
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2009 09:30AM

The new issue of RodMaker is printing now. Out of the many articles within, there are 4 that I think will be of particular interest to most rod builders.

First is the SBSS seat which we provide full instructions on making. This is a creation of JP Timberlake and offers the custom rod builder something that his or her customers can't get in a commercially made rod. At first glance it looks difficult to make, but once you see the step by step photos you'll be making your own in an afternoon. This is a real advancement in custom made reel seats and handles and provides for greater comfort and function than nearly any other handle or seat on the market today.

Next is the process for a guaranteed perfect epoxy finish on any rod. Applying epoxy is the easiest task in all of rod building. No rod builder should ever have sags, runs, bubbles, waves, etc., in their finish. It's easy to get a perfect finish and we'll show you how in just a few steps. You can get a perfect epoxy finish on your rod in 3 minutes, tops.

Every rod builder needs scrap graphite or glass tubing in their shop at some point. Making extensions, inserts, sleeves, plugs, etc., is possible in your own shop. The process is simple and with the guidelines provided for selecting the right material, sizing for wall thickness, etc., you'll never again have to go looking through garage sales for scrap rod blanks. Whatever you need you can make in a matter of minutes.

With the advent of companies such as North Fork Composites, Echo Rod Company and others utilizing the Common Cents System, there is less need for custom rod builders to run the numbers - they'll be provided for you in the catalogs now. But I've always regretted that I published the entire CCS article which Dr. Hanneman wrote several years ago. The background information confused and intimidated many builders and thus I've decided to publish just the "how-to" of the system. It's all you need to know to take the measurements and make sense of them. The text only runs about 2 pages and with 4 photos anybody can use this system to great benefit. Dr. Hanneman did a great job in knocking this thing down to the bare nuts and bolts - just what a builder needs to know in order to use it and nothing more.

There are several more articles, stuff on getting more out of your lathe, some wrapping tricks, and the usual columns on rod building history, tools, news, Q&A, color photo gallery, etc. but the above 4 articles will be particularly useful for a great number of rod builders.

The new issue will mail on August 2nd. If you want it, please renew or subscribe prior to that date. Otherwise the 12-5 issue in October will be the next available issue.

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RodMaker Volume 12 #4
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 21, 2009 10:13AM

Looking forward to the condensed version of the CCS

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 21, 2009 10:53AM

Tom,
I hope the article will have a “Cents to ERN Conversion” chart that will encompass all rods. Unless I’ve missed another published list, the “Rosetta Stone” only goes to 173 Cents and URRL article (Table 2) only goes to 303.5 (and is not linear---I.E. converts ERN to Cents).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 12:41PM by jim spooner.

Date: July 21, 2009 11:24AM

The cents to ERN figure will never be completely linear.

Dr. Hanneman will be at North Fork Composites this fall helping them with some things. The URRS could easily be expanded a bit more if needed. It will largely depend on what the manufacturers feel they need.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.NSW.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 21, 2009 11:57AM

Tom
This SBSS seat you mention, does it have anything to do with the Fuji SBS seat?

Date: July 21, 2009 12:07PM

No.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 21, 2009 03:42PM

Tom,
your description of the simplified CCS sounded intriguing enough that i just subscribed. I look forward to it.!

Date: July 21, 2009 04:45PM

The CCS was already simple (the original "how-to" was only something like 4 paragraphs long). But it contained all the background research which put a lot of people off. So the updated article won't have any of that. You can get through it in just a few minutes.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: July 21, 2009 08:43PM

I am sure looking forward to the article on finishing. Since I began this hobby last winter I could write a book on sags, bags, ripples, bubbles, nubs and waves.

Steve

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: July 22, 2009 11:09AM

I can write a book about what I DON'T know about this craft!! However, going to High Point in 2009 & subscribing to RodMaker, studying Tom's book & CDs and this forum the book will be considerably shorter. I am looking forward to High Point in '10.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 22, 2009 11:49PM

Amen and AMEN Bill!!!!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster