I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alligators
Posted by: Jim Little (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 11:12AM

Over the years I have had some unusual request for rods....but this one takes the cake. A rod for catching alligators. It will be a casting rod that is at least 8'-0 long. Any suggestions on blank and componets would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alligators
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 11:51AM

Heavy duty stuff.

Date: July 20, 2009 11:58AM

I wonder who is going to net the gator?

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: July 20, 2009 12:26PM

Giving a 300 lb alligator an eight foot lever to use against you does not seem like a good idea.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: July 20, 2009 12:31PM

The answer is obvious. Gator Glass [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 12:34PM

An 8' stick against a gator is a bad choice IMHO as that gives the critter a heck of a lever against the angler, most of the cow tuna sticks are short like around 6 feet or shorter and these guys are hammering 200 plus pound fish.

But if they insist... Calstar BT775-7.5 30-100 rock cod blank would do the job [] Or you could use one of these... [] a vertical jigging blank, they appear to have some serious lifting power in the 60# range.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 20, 2009 01:23PM

I would imagine this is to capture the alligator prior to shooting it. Maybe not the best method but I suppose it would meet the legal requirements of capture prior to dispatching the animal.

From SCDNR Alligator hunting Regs....
"CAPTURE METHODS
It is unlawful to kill or attempt to kill an unrestrained alligator during the Public Alligator Hunting Season. Alligators must first be captured alive prior to shooting or otherwise dispatching the animal. In order to capture an alligator, the hunter must first secure a restraining line to the animal. Several methods may be used to attach a restraining line to an alligator, including handheld snares, harpoons, gigs, arrows or snatch hooks. It is up to the individual hunter to decide which method will work best for their situation and skill level."

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 20, 2009 01:35PM

I do have some experience snagging gators with very large treble hooks and fishing tackle... on purpose. 8' length is not such a bad idea, the treble hook rarely penetrates the skin very deep so that length helps keep tension on the hook as he moves/thrashes around. Hope that makes sense. Any type of fiberglass blank with a moderate to mod/fast action in the 30-60# range should work nicely, maybe heavier depending on the size gator you're after. Most gator hunters do not horse the gator in with the rod, it's used to keep track of where it is so you can get close enough to harpoon,snare,kill or otherwise get control of it. Hope this helps

Steve

Date: July 20, 2009 01:36PM

Correct Alex......using 12/0 treble hook.
I think Florida allows fishing for alligators with artificial lures?

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 20, 2009 01:39PM

You got it right Alex, I guess we were typing at the same time.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2009 04:57PM

Instead of using a 30-60 # class rod

I would suggest a 3006 Remington with 4- equally spaced 3mm micro guides and using the front site for the tip. That way you can snap set the hook and line right back up on him to shoot before he decides you’re a meal.
I think that s how Lance and Bill got Clyde

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 20, 2009 05:01PM

Sorry Steve.. in SC you have to use a handgun or bang stick.

But you can still use micros for the sights on the pistol! Maybe some with tritium ring inserts for a nice evening glow?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: July 20, 2009 06:00PM

Some of the professional animal catchers on TV shows that get rid of gators use fishing rods with baited trebles to catch them and get them either to shore or in the shallows. An 8 ft would be a good idea because it allows more give when a big one wants to leave in a hurry. I would think the rod would be a moderate action with a lot of backbone and a reel with a great lever drag ..........

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 09:14PM

Another important note... I would VERY strongly recommend against using cork for grips. Gator blood does not come off!! Dark or possibly red EVA would be ideal. As for the rest of the components, consider going a little extra heavy as this rod will no doubt get banged around if an angry gator gets in the boat.

Keep that very large treble hook in mind when choosing a hook keeper too.

The long battles this rod will see would be well suited by a spiral setup if you're into that.

Hope some of that helps

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster