I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Stradic CI4 spinning reel.
Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2009 11:19PM

Its on Shimano's site now. 2500 size spinning reel at only 7 ounces! With some of these superlight spinning reels coming out it seem there is pressure to make the rods even lighter to balance. However looking at the ESPN bass fishing show I was stunned at how many of the pros broke their rods on just this ONE show. Have we reached the point of diminishing returns on the "lighter, lighter,lighter"? Getting reels that weigh 7 ounces that can land 10 pound fish means the rod , in order to balance with the reel, has to be even lighter and thus more delicate. The fish however stays at 10 pounds!

errrrrr......is there any reel site similar to Rodbuilding.com but dealing in fishing reels where I can read about this cool new reel? heheheheh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Stradic CI4 spinning reel.
Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 12:45AM

I'd lay the blame of broken rods on improper use and technique rather than the lightness of the rod itself. 'Horseshoe' any rod, compress or flatten-out the hoop/diameter of the blank, and you roll the dice. I think the pros are guilty of over-straining rods because they are being dramatic for the cameras, highsticking fish into the boat, getting aggressive when hung up. And you never know how much their rods get knocked around off camera!

This is a good reason to use lower modulus blanks or blanks with thicker walls if a rod is going to be used as a hoist, dredge, or towing bar. Of course, this adds weight, but you gotta pay the piper at some point.

Lightness of the rod/reel has nothing to do with breakage. Think about it...does a naked blank (as light as it gets) get any stronger because you put guides and a handle on it? Don't think so. (You just have to put on guides and a handle so you can use it.)

With the proper line rated for the rod, a sharp hook with the appropriate wire diameter, and taking up slack by reeling or quickly wrist-popping the rod, a fish can be hooked surprisingly easily. No need for over-the-back jerks like you are trying to throw a Sumo wrestler.

I don't see any reason a rod should break, even an ultralight ultralight, on a ten pound or thousand pound fish if using good technique. You may get spooled, but the rod won't break if you know its limits.

I am excited to see the lighter reels, too!

Just my two cents

Les

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2009 01:02AM by les cline.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 08:21AM

That reel looks cool but I wish it had the "T" handle like the 3000 and up has.
If you respect the limitations of any given blank it shouldn't break, but at some point all levers will break.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 08:23AM

IMHO, rod weight on bass fishing rods, is overrated. If I build two rods, one weighing 3 oz, another 3.5 oz, same length, then add a 7 oz reel with line and 1/2 oz lure I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between the two set ups. As Les suggested, the lower modulas or thicker walled rod will give you the extra strength but the price to pay the piper will be chump change. Nor would balancing be an issue with the extra .5 oz. I have "repaired" several out of balance rods and they were out of balance due to being overbuilt, double foot guides all the way with inches of extra thread wrap and epoxy, not because the reel was too light.

Lighter reels are good, as they make for a overall lighter rig.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 08:49AM

What does the weight of the fish out of the water, have to do with the same fish's weight and power in the water? I assume he weighs next to zero in the water as he is neutrally suspended in it. You can move a huge ship at the dock by just stepping on the mooring line, that's how we snugged up the mooring lines in the Coast Guard. Remember the old Ford F series commercials?

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 09:09AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Remember the old
> Ford F series commercials?

Nope. What was it?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2009 05:05PM

Ray
You may not be able to feel the difference between 3 and 3.5 once rods with all other things being equal.
But I can guarantee you, the guys I build for can and they will flat out let me know it when they do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 06:58AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 09:26PM

Les, you are right on! We just has a customer break a G. Loomis C723-GL3 Med Hvy Fast, by lifting a 6 lber over the side of the boat. The fish was flopping while the rod was being bent into a horseshoe at neck level of the angler! Some people don't deserve to get a great rod into their hands. I agree, hish-sticking a rod at the speed of sound will bust them right and left!!
All I fish with for spinning reels are Stradics! Can't wait to see them. The color is sure different! Any links out there, let us know!
Kyle Robinson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2009 09:27PM by Kyle Robinson.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2009 09:43PM

All the data on the new Stradic CI4 and the new Core (LP baitcaster) is on the Shimano website.

Posted by: Mo Yang (70.99.98.---)
Date: July 21, 2009 12:38AM

Ray, I don't build bass rod. But I'll tell you that .5 oz is a clearly noticeable difference for what I build. I tested two rods recently that were 0.3 oz different. The felt difference was quite significant. (I started writing 'huge' but thought you'd think I was exaggerating.) I could clearly tell that the lighter one was 'just right' in the balance while the heavier one (a foot longer) was out of balance and took a fair bit more effort. These were both sub 2 ounce rods by the way. The lighter one really just felt effortless compared to the .3 oz heavier unit.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster