I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Add Ons
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: July 18, 2009 11:32AM

I have been thinking of ways to increase the value of my rod for customers but which do not require a great deal of further investment on my end. Little things that might mean a lot to the fisherman but which cost almost nothing to deploy. So far I have come up with hookkeeper, fish length limit thread marker, rod bag. What other small add-ons do you offer that make your rods more user friendly?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Add Ons
Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 11:46AM

I'm just building for friends and family but I'll also include some value added items. For ferruled rods I'll include a ferrule tool. If I'm building with the reel I'll include an inexpensive lure that matches the technique specific to the rod and compliments the color scheme; for fly rods I'll tie a fly that matches the rod. On spin/cast rods I may include a lure wrap. You may be ably to have a bunch of lure wraps made with your logo for just a few cents each.

Keep in mind that too many add-ons will detract from the rod itself and look more like a grab bag with a rod included.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2009 12:32PM

i think one of the best things to provide a customer is an understanding of care and use of the rod. making them understand their investment and how to properly use it and take care of it in many cases provides them a sense of owning something special. this converts to better care and appreciation. they are then more likely to show friends and family as they are proud to have it.

Posted by: Patrick Rutledge (69.158.47.---)
Date: July 18, 2009 01:56PM

I think John's idea is a good one. You could print a "pamphlet" to include with each rod covering proper care and treatment.

Patrick Rutledge

Posted by: Ben Lee (---.lapl.org)
Date: July 18, 2009 03:27PM

Some sort of potection body glove style bag for the fishing pole & reel. Very useful against heat if they keep it under the glass of their car.

Do not patent my ideas !... Just kidden..

Ben

Posted by: Ben Lee (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 04:56PM

For my curiosity sake I found this type of fiber-: 3M Nextel Ceramic Fiber products provide outstanding thermal and flame protection. Does any sponsor or builder have any experience with it ?

Ben

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 05:28PM

"Thank You" cards, Christmas cards, newsletters, etc. to remind the customer that you are still around and appreciative of their business. If sent by e-mail they cost virtually nothing, but if they're hand written, they mean a lot more.

Posted by: Ben Lee (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 05:42PM

How about a bar of soap ? I'm thinking about an attachment compartment built onto the rod handle for soap storage. Just an idea... :)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 06:21PM

I really like JP's idea of instructions on "care and use"! I'm going to put together a 1 or 2 page document to deliver with all future rods I build.

Input very welcome and I'll gladly share output. I only build fly rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2009 06:42PM

There was an article in a past issue of RodMaker that detailed various types of care and instruction manuals supplied by rod builders with their custom rods.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 09:09PM

I sell each rod with slick jackets and the customers love them! I sell the rod with one and when they leave my shop, they usually buy 3-5 more for their other rods at home. So, the customer is estatic with the new rods and then I get an add on sale for between $50 and $100. Its a win win.

Posted by: Ben Lee (159.83.196.---)
Date: July 18, 2009 09:52PM

Someone Emailed me and suggested a bar of soap with their Business name on it. Like: Curtesy of "Joe's Rod Shop". Not Bad.. Not Bad at all...

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 10:08PM

I just started giving with a rod a bottle to maintain water levels in Tr. Mtr. batteries. Quart spring water bottle-hole drilled in cap-1/8 " vinyl tube to reach the bottom. Squeeze and fill. You'd think you gave them an extra rod. Maybe they will buy another with money saved on new batteries.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 19, 2009 05:41AM

If the rod has a decorative cross wrap or weave on it, you could then customise the rod bag with the same pattern. You could either get the bag monogrammed or look into getting an iron-on transfer made.

Dave Boyle
www.threadcentral.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster