I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new Fuji micro tops
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 17, 2009 09:49AM

I was looking at another site and saw that Kistler is now offering micro rods to the public but what really caught my attention was the release of Fuji micro tops?? Anyone know anything about these and when we might be able to get them??

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new Fuji micro tops
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2009 09:59AM

Word was confirmed from Anglers at ICAST that the redesigned braced micro tops with tubes to 6.5 will be arriving in approximately six weeks.

Date: July 17, 2009 10:04AM

wooo hoo!!!!! really looking forward to getting these for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 17, 2009 10:24AM

Bill,
What series are they?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 17, 2009 10:41AM

And if you didn't notice, the Kistler Micro Series Z-Bone is expected to have a price point around $450 available in Dec '09.

As quoted from another site:
"But that’s not all. Trey Kistler has decided to up the ante on his Helium line even more by creating a custom order rod experience. Soon, you will be able to log onto Kistler Custom Rods and custom specify a Helium rod to your liking. You will be able to choose your guides, grip configuration, etc., and have your rod custom built by the factory within four to six weeks."

Get ready... production custom rods are knocking on the door.

-----------------
AD

Date: July 17, 2009 10:50AM

Alex I certainly DID notice that... just makes it that much easier for the little guy! :)

Date: July 17, 2009 11:09AM

I was a little surprised at that price!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2009 11:29AM

The bass industry took strong notice of the fly fishing market during the 1990's. They saw the keystone margins that the dealers were getting and how clever marketing convinced the consumers that the stuff was a bargain even at those extremely high prices (premium fly rods approached $800 to $850 during the late 1990's and serious fly fishermen wouldn't consider anything less).

We've now come full circle and the bass industry is playing the same game. Low end products at extremely high end prices. Take a reel, throw in a dozen 10 cent ball bearings, paint it a bright color and stick a $300 to $400 price tag on it. The rods are next.

But this is very good news for the custom rod builder. As the folks in this segment of the market begin to see these higher prices as the norm for good equipment, they'll be less likely to balk at the price of a good custom rod. I've never been one to try and compete on price, but those who do will find this a godsend. Once $300 to $500 becomes the standard price for what is considered a really good bass rod, any decent custom rod builder will suddenly find it easier to get a fair price for his or her work. It happened in the fly fishing industry and it's happening right now in the bass market.

Conversely, the custom fly rod market took a nose dive with the advent of really good fly rods in the $100 to $200 range. It took a while for the serious fly fishermen to recognize them, but once they did, custom fly rod pricing took a hit.

At any rate, never be upset at rising prices for commercially made tackle - it only makes the life of the custom builder that much easier. Make the most of it while you can. These things run in cycles.

Date: July 17, 2009 11:43AM

I certainly wasn't upset - funny you mention it because the first thought I had was "Man, my micro rods just turned into one heck of a good value!"

-----------------
AD

Date: July 17, 2009 12:10PM

Along this same note, I found the following tidbit on ESPN Outdoors this morning (C&P of course):

Going Japanese

All around the ICAST show floor, the new rods are taking on a distinctly "Japanese" look. They're losing their foregrips (and with them plenty of unnecessary and undesirable weight) and getting more colorful.

The look started in Japan and is now gaining traction all over. Bright colors are "in" for next year, and losing unwanted ounces will never go out of style. Don't be caught dead with your flabby and drab rods in 2010.

Sounds like what custom builders have been preaching all along.

Posted by: Patrick Rutledge (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 17, 2009 12:33PM

Tom,

With regards to adding price just because consumers are willing to pay it, does that then effect the price of blanks? Will our blanks go up in price because the equivalent manufactured rod went up in price? Thanks

Patrick Rutledge

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: July 17, 2009 12:50PM

If you read the full coverage from ICAST the expensive Kistler rods are the exception. The biggest news is high quality bass rods at very attractive prices, there are many rods at the sub $100 price point at least on the surface look very nice.

Date: July 17, 2009 01:40PM

Patrick,

No. In fact, there are more high quality, exceptional performing blanks available today, at less money, than at any time in previous rod building history.

Mike,

You're right, the St. Croix Mojo rods are another example of a great rod for under $100. But all it takes is a few to push the high end up and sticker shock is no longer as likely when a guy is confronted by such a price.

It is interesting that ESPN feels the "no-foregrip" rods were born in Japan instead of here in the U.S. in the custom rod market. Maybe somebody will tip them off.

Date: July 17, 2009 02:06PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is interesting that ESPN feels the
> "no-foregrip" rods were born in Japan instead of
> here in the U.S. in the custom rod market. Maybe
> somebody will tip them off.
>
> ...........

That's what I thought as well but thought it was worth sharing.
But you've got to hand it to Japan, they make some fine tackle.

Date: July 17, 2009 02:39PM

No doubt they do, and have for many years.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2009 03:30PM

I was not aware that Rich Forhan was Japaneese!

I am aware the Trey Kistler has chocolate on his fingers which came from M&Ms!

I wonder how vendors can ever trust their advertising dollars to support and an event managed like ICAST!

How long has it been since the Best of Show in the Rod category was upstaged by a rod presented by a non sponsor. How many of you have even seen the Best of Show winner?

This is really a tough business!

Date: July 17, 2009 04:01PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
How many of you have even seen the
> Best of Show winner?
>

I haven't. Who was it?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 08:54AM

Commercial rods going up in price is a good thing for us ---- as long as the parts we need don't do the same. If so we are in the same boat.
It is a real pain trying to find parts at reasonable prices to a customer that expects same. Now I just go to a quality company. add it up -- take it or leave it.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 08:59AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: July 19, 2009 12:03PM

I talked to Don Barrone and he forwarded the origin of the no foregrip, etc to the editors at ESPNOutdoors. Not sure if it will be changed, but the info was passed along.

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster