I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Angler's Roost Bamboo
Posted by: Joy Dunlap (---.northstate.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 11:15AM

I have been building bamboo fly rods since 1932 and split planed and finished rods until arthritis caught up with my rods about 20 years ago. If I work slow and for brief periods I can still assemble and finish rods but love bamboo the most as it is a solid, not hollow material. It is beautiful and no two are exactly alike.

Recently I became familiar with some bamboo blanks made in China and marketed by Angler’s Roost. I have completed 3 rods on their Presidential Series and sold all three to the first client that cast them.

They have an exceptional appearance and are very straight with superior joint lines. They are available in a large selection of popular builders tapers and all have 2 tips. They come in heat treated tan with selected models available flamed.

The first one I built was a 2pc 8’ Leonard Taper 5-weight. It casts very well and I can apply lots of power. I was able to cast a very tight loop to 50 feet.

The next I built was a 7’ Winston 3 wt which finished out at 2-5/8 oz. and cast a 2 and 3 DT very nice. 40 to 50 feet. It went to a customer who has a dozen of my glass, graphite and cane rods. He was very pleased with this delicate spring creek rod.

My most recent was a Paul Young 7’6” Perfectionist taper for 4 wt. I was immediately taken with its power and accuracy over 50’ . I immediately went back and ordered another as I want to keep one of these for myself.

Once a rod builder tries one of these they will be wanting to build a few. It saves me 40 hours or so in building the blank and allows me to create a nice cane rod that I can sell at a reasonable price and still make as much as I do when using graphite.

Joy Dunlap
J. Dunlap Enterprises
papajoyflys@yahoo.com

PS I try to put 2 and sometimes 4 hours on the bench several days a week but at age 86 don’t plan real far ahead. Hope to see you in High Point at the Rod Builders Expo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Angler's Roost Bamboo
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: July 16, 2009 11:21AM

Joysticks?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2009 11:31AM

I believe that's correct - his rods were called "Joysticks."

For the newer guys who may not be aware, Joy is one of the oldest active rod builders around. He is well known to most anyone that was part of custom rod building back in the 60's and 70's and was a founding member of the Dale Clemens RodCrafter group. It will be nice to see him at the Expo.

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2009 03:28PM

I hope to get to see Joy again next year. Not many people know this about Joy but he was a drummer in the great and I mean great Stan Kenton band. I still can't get over that.

I still remember the Star of David cross wrap you showed me but I honestly forgot how it was done so I hope to see you and you can give me the information again.

And Joy you only have a couple of years on me so forget about the numbers.

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 04:10PM

Wow! Joy Dunlap in attendance is yet another great reason to make it to High Point, and I certainly hope that I can. I saw my first custom rod at A&J Custom Rods in Destin, Florida, way back when. I was hooked (so to speak). Joy was also a WWII bomber pilot, if my memory serves me. In rod building, Joy is well known for his tartain plaid wraps (and his Joy Sticks). Joy, I sure hope that I can make it to High Point. I will plan toward that end.
Clyde Dent

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 06:41PM

Clyde spread the word to these Rodcrafter guys about the custom Electric Name Badges - If you guys show up at High Point I will personally light each and every one of you up with a custom badge that will put a permanent mark on everyone that will last forever! Now all we gotta do is have Bob McK come up with the "shine" in the fruit jars and his harmonica playing brother in law! That will surely result in a rodbuilding shin dig that will never be topped!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 10:17PM

Ok Clyde we are prepared to back up our offer!

Take a look at the quick draft - changes welcome and provided at no extra charge!

When the picture opens click on it and look above the hog to view the designer name!

Keeper of Clyde de Gator!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 10:20PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2009 07:44AM

You are only 18 years older than me, but I can not tell you how much I have learned from you, Dale Clemons and Dick French and the other guys that contributed to Rod Crafters over the years. The word THANKS is not enough. I was reluctant to try Chinese blanks until I read your post.

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2009 10:32AM

Cool, Bill! Will the boudin and "swamp sauce" be there, as well?
Clyde

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster