I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rod suggestions?
Posted by: Tom White (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: July 14, 2009 03:22PM

Any SW guys out there have opinions on length and action for a surf spinning rod for 20-30# mono, 1 1/2 - 3 oz lures. Used mostly for surface poppers for stripers and blues, sometimes spoons or jigs. Casting distance is important. I'm guessing a fast action around 10 1/2 feet, but could use some expert advice.
Thanks
Tom White

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod suggestions?
Posted by: John Straus (---.bbh.com)
Date: July 14, 2009 03:50PM

I use an 11 foot rod (2 piece), and can get plenty of distance with a 3 oz lure. You might want it a bit stiffer to launch heavier lures though - Mod-Fast.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2009 05:57PM

If you're going to be casting and retrieving, you'll want a rod that isn't so long that you can't handle it comfortably all day. I'd limit myself to no more than 10-1/2 feet for sure. If you can get the distance you want with a 9 to 9-1/2 footer, so much the better.

If it's still available, take a look at the Seeker CSU100 for starters. GUSA used to make a Surf Assassin that in the heaviest power would have been perfect. The folks from Batson are likely to have some good models as well.

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 14, 2009 10:03PM

Lamiglas GSB 1321M - 11'er
Lamiglas GSB 1201M - 10'er

...or take 6" off the butt of the 1321 for a 10'6"

Good luck!

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 15, 2009 06:47AM

I don't think you're going to get much distance using 20 to 30lb mono. For lures in that weight range using 10 to 15lb test will increase your distance by at least 50%. I use 10 1/2 to 11 ft. spinners for casting metal and never use over 12lb test mono. If you want the extra pound test I would consider braid. Good luck with your build.

Posted by: Dave Fontaine (136.244.213.---)
Date: July 15, 2009 10:19AM

i wouldnt recommend 30# mono. unless you are using a casting reel and around heavy structure maybe and i do use that on those type of outfits. for spinning rods, 20# mono is about the norm for heavy spinning rods w/ mono. but, just to braid and use 40#-65#, with 50 about the norm. note: this is typically used in areas with heavy rips, tides, and/or structure. if you are in sandy areas w/o this structure, you may be able to drop to 30# braid running line w/ a heavier braid leader and then a mono leader on that.

as for rods, i wouldnt recommend anything over 10' for all day or many hours of fishing, or if it's windy. if you can notice the distance in casting those lures w/ a 10' rod compared to a 11' rod, i'd be very surprised. but, you'd notice the difference in casting it all day long on your body.

recommended blanks - lami - gsb1201M (10'), gsb1321M (11'), ssu1201M, ssu1201MH, ssu1321MH. these are all 1-piece models, but they do have 2-piece models too. you didn't specify. only the ssu1201MH is slightly faster than the rest and may not be the best popper rod, but has the most power in the ones listed. it's one of the most versitile blanks for lure range and power. the ssu's are lighter than the gsb's. the gsb's are very durable. fast action rods are not the best for pencil popping if you plan on doing that.

Posted by: Jeff Bodnar (198.232.70.---)
Date: July 15, 2009 10:59AM

Are you looking to build or just suggestions on rod? I have 10' and 11' spinning that I use for stripers. 1 is fast and 1 is mod-fast (respectively) I like the mod-fast better. It will work more types of lures with a better weight range 1-4oz as opposed to 3-6oz. not sure of the blanks as I did not build them. I used to use 17lb mono before switching to 30lb braid and I fish from NJ to ME. I have had no problems fishing the 11'er all night. Just make sure it is balanced. I'm told by my friends who own them that the AFAW Estuary blank is the best blank ever made for plugging stripers although finding one may be difficult. Just my .02

Posted by: Tom White (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: July 15, 2009 12:52PM

Thanks for the ideas fellas, looks like mod-fast no longer than 10' and a drop in line weight. Thanks for the blank suggestion, too, really appreciate it!
Tom White

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2009 07:06PM

Rainshadow 1387 is what some west coast Mexico surf casters recommend.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2009 09:47PM

Check out the Seeker CSW1008 this blank is one of my new favorites in a 10'. Very close to an All Star 1266 action wise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster