I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steel head blank recomendation
Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 01:01PM

I am looking for advice on a Steelhead rod. 2 piece 8' 6" to 10'. He would like a lite to medium lite. He will be using 6lbs test. Spinning set up. He is going to be using this rod for spawn bags and throwing small spoons. 1/8th to 2/5ths. The problem I'm having is I can find the blanks in the right power. But he would like an extra fast or fast action. Everything I am finding is moderate in these.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steel head blank recomendation
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 01:29PM

Tough with 6# but in the 8-12# class there are a bunch of good offerings from Batson.
They do have a mod-fast in 4-8# though.

XST1141F Titanium Chrome 9'6" 2 4 - 8 LB 0.395 4.0 Moderate-Fast 1.74 oz. $110.35
XST1143F Titanium Chrome 9'6" 2 8-12 LB 0.500 4.5 Fast 2.48 oz. $112.99
XST1084F Titanium Chrome 9'0" 2 8-12 LB 0.495 4.5 Fast 2.65 oz. $116.13
XST1263F Titanium Chrome 10'6" 2 8-12 LB 0.580 4.5 Fast 2.88 oz. $120.79

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 13, 2009 01:36PM

If he can go 8 ft 3 in, look at the Rainshadow IST 993, it's fast as steelhead blanks go, the IST 1142 has a tip like the 1141, but with more butt. You could also extend the butt on the 993 a bit to make up the length he wants. Other fast blanks are the Lamiglas blanks the lightest I remember close to your spec is the XST 120 2M. Makes a nice float and spoon rod. The shorter Sage CT blanks like the 286 and 290 are pretty fast as blanks go and than there is the 9 ft Dan Craft FT fly blanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 01:55PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Brad Kemis (---.fw2.onvoy.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 03:25PM

I've built on St. Croix 3S90ML-2 blanks and it would suit his needs very well.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 10:11PM

I would go with Spencer's suggestion

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: July 14, 2009 01:24PM

I would find out from him what he will do more drift or cast. If he is drifting stick to the longer side as it will work better for him obtaining a drag free drift by having better line control and keeping the slack line off the water. If he is tossing spoons more then you can go shorter for sure.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 14, 2009 07:02PM

Bill Herzog wrote two very good books on drift and spoon fishing, he also had something to do with the design of all the 10 ft Certified Pro blanks and rods. The XST 120 2M is his go to rod/blank for both most situations. It is fast actioned in the tip like the MT (Mag Taper) blanks in the Lamiglas catalog, but lighter powered. He has fished with Jim Bedford and others from the Great Lakes area, so he's fished all over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 07:12PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 15, 2009 01:21AM

Bill H is a respected fisherman on the West coast from Alaska to the Baja . He has had a lot of impute on what he expects in his lamiglas rods

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 12:07PM

Also look at the IST blanks by Batson- These seem to be an extremely nice blank-I am in the process of building 2 of these for casting (level wind). Just finished 2 of the XST's one 1141F and 1143F. I am still learning to wrap again after a 25 to 30 year break. Now just another spendy hobby. Grandkids all have new ultralite rods-Daughterin law, sons etc well you get the point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster