I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
YOu know you are in a Rod building shop when...
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 01:45AM

You look up at the cieling, and there are holes everywhere. For those who have 12' high cielings, you might not get this.

It looks like somoene sprayed droplets of water all over your benchtop. Anyoen who is extremey careful applyign epoxy finish won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

You see a stack of rods with wood handles, broken guides, and clear tips piled into a corner.

In the other corner you see a pile of neatly placed blanks with plastic sleeves covering only the bottom half of the blank since you poked the tip through the plastic and were too lazy to fix it.

Lots of painting supplies, but no paint (blue masking tape, paintbrushes, razorblades, dust mask, solvents)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: YOu know you are in a Rod building shop when...
Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 13, 2009 01:51AM

Nice one Billy................very true

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 02:03AM

Billy-most of my blank testing involves jamming the tips into the ceiling-I build in room over garage -angled ceiling except in center of room-lots of opportunities.
Advantage working there is quick access to curing room-adjacent attic-100 degrees.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 02:12AM

Good one.

Also...

If your shop-vac filter is a continuously growing wad of nylon & polyester fibers.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 03:40AM

You know your in a rod shop when...

You see shelving full of craft-store items like kiddy foam and cord and brightly colored embroydery thread that the church ladies would die for.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 06:12AM

small strips of tape stuck all over the edge of the table, a floor full of bits of sewing thread but no sewing machine

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 06:29AM

When you constanlly have tape and thread stuck to you socks and shoes

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 06:53AM

When you see fishing rods turning on a bench top with no apparenat reason.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 08:15AM

I thought I was the only one that had a wrapping room like that.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 10:29AM

Hah...sounds like my shop...now with the carbon grips.....when you have a workshop covered in foam dust......plastic mixing cups and wooden sticks strewn everywhere....and myseterious rock formations on the floor made of foam......

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 10:31AM

...there are soda straws laying on the bench and floor, but no glasses

...there are coffee filters all over and no coffee pot.

...there are strange custom tools that seem to date back to 16th century torture.

...you have a TV & DVD player and a stack of fishing videos, and a large stack of Rodmaker Magazines on the shelf.

...there are aluminum foil pieces with a puddle of finish and a yellow paint brush stuck in them all over the bench .

Posted by: dave schaub (63.241.190.---)
Date: July 13, 2009 11:31AM

.....when someone comes into the shop and says, "whats that smell?", and you dont smell anything because your receptors have long ago burned out....

.....when there is a machine on a long table with a spider-web of colorful thread fashioned in such a way as to cover up what is going onto a rod in some holders......

....when there are pictures on the wall of weaves, copies of layouts for guides, a large grid on the wall with a bag of pennies on the floor, ...

ha, ha. This is fun trying to describe what someone might see if they are unfamiliar with rodbuilders......

dave

Date: July 13, 2009 11:36AM

What's funny is I have no clue what you guys are talkign abotu with teh masking tape? lol, those who know how cheap I am with tape get that.

Good stuff. The craft store stuff is pretty sad, I have so many foam sheets they really are in every drawer or shelf in my shop. THe carbon grips is a good one too, a little niche-y so everyone might not get it, but definitely a unique "looks what's in my shop". I also like the aluminum foil pieces, I've seen that a couple of times too. .

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 11:40AM

Billy, seriously, how many times can you use a piece of tape????

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 11:51AM

When the carpet in front or your rod lathe looks like a multi colored thread chia-pet

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 12:04PM

You're in a rod building shop when the roller wheels on your work-swivel-chair will hardly work cause they are constantly gummed with thread, feathers, metalic strands and tape.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 12:07PM

Sounds like a lot of you need a large garbage can in the shop ---- but you have to empty it at least once in a while ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 12:12PM

I can relate to way too much of this stuff.
There are a hundred zip tie pieces on the floor
3-4 lighters on the table but you don't smoke
The latest Joann's or Micheal's catalog out and bookmarked

Date: July 13, 2009 12:35PM

Steve - you get 10 points for the wheels clogged up, lmao!
Dave - you would get 10 points but your brain is fried form fumes so you won't miss the points, I've got papers pinned ot teh wall surrounding my bulletin board.

Garbage pail? what level of neat freak are you to cut every single piece of thread and walk over to teh pail to place it in there?

Just for Bill B - you're in a rod shop when your garbage pail lid is used as a shelf to hold foam grips.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 01:52PM

You are in a rod shop when you see hundreds of little rubber bands cut from long rubber tubes. Also when the wife says how can you work in such a messy place. Also stuck on the wall are pictures of color changes and weaving patters. Also netly coved so rod stuff wont get on it is a computer, with RodBuilding.ORG on the screen

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster