I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
EVA grip
Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 11:11PM

Hi,
I have a question.
I bought blank with butt size .54" and I don't know if eva grip with 1/2" ID would be OK or should I go smaller (3/8").

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grip
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 11:26PM

GO smaller

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 11:27PM

Jerry, you should be ok with that grip. You may have to shim slightly with tape up near the reel seat, depending on the length of the grip and the taper of the blank. It will probably need reamed slightly at the butt end and fit snug at the seat as is. I would go with the .500 ID grip.

Date: July 11, 2009 11:29PM

Hey Billy, I guess we need a tie breaker now. Ha!

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 12, 2009 12:18AM

I'd go smaller...no point in reaming or making tape arbors and such with EVA..is too easy to purchase the correct size and put it on accordingly.

Dave

Date: July 12, 2009 12:21AM

Dave, You said go smaller, no point in reaming? Huh? 3/8" hole, .540" blank. No reaming involved there, I see!

Date: July 12, 2009 12:30AM

Jerry, trust me with the larger ID grip. Reaming EVA isn't hard but why ream if you don't have to. It can be said that the EVA will stretch, but you don't get something without giving up something. Stretch the EVA and the life of the grip will be less than if it fits only snug with the epoxy adhering it to the blank. Stretch a rubber band for a length of time and see if it is better afterward. Buy them both, and if you use the smaller of the two, I'll buy the one you don't use and the smaller one.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 12, 2009 01:29AM

Personally, I would ALWAYS go with a smaller ID. Installed properly [www.rodbuilding.org] No point in reaming it. You want a tight fit which gives a much tougher, firm grip whereas a looser fit will be more spongy. You can strecth it 1 1/2-2 times the ID

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 12, 2009 01:42AM

DEpending on where teh EVA is made, it might not stretch 1 1/2 times. SOm eof the new EVA which is super duper hard, barely stretches at all. I think tht is a big part of the reason people have so much of an issue installing it. I personally have had a numbe rof hte harder EVA grips get stuck, I hate them with a passion and wish I knew what I was getting before I ordered 25 grips at a clip. For starters, Batson EVA is hard as a rock, almost like cork. If you are ordering from someone who carries Batson EVA, make sure you ream it to fit, almost like cork. I know @#$%& sells Batson EVA.

PS - I'm not knocking Batson EVA, for someone looking for a really hard cork-like feel in EVA, that is a great choice. YOu just have to know how to work with it as it is a bit different from other EVA grips form other companies.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2009 08:11AM

If you decide to shim, instead of tape, use thread. Spiral some size D up the blank where the grip will be located. Leave 1/8th inch between your spirals and then "screw" the grip into place over it.

Date: July 12, 2009 09:14AM

I was thinking of colored eva from MUDHOLE or blocks and I will turn it. Does anybody know if it is hard as eva from Batson ???

Thank you Jerry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2009 10:01AM

It's pretty firm.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: July 12, 2009 10:50AM

I use EVA on almost all of my great lakes trolling rods. Use the ID which is appx. .125 smaller than your butt diameter. I haven't found any EVA that won't slide easily over that much ID difference when lubed with epoxy. If you have an even tighter fit, you can shake some Alchohol or Acetone inside the EVA before sliding it on the blank, it will slide like butter even with a huge difference in ID's. Like stated above, it will also firm up the EVA. No reaming. With EVA you don't want a sloppy fit, go tight.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2009 11:16AM

The colored EVA from mudhole is indeed much firmer than the black they carry. The last batch of black I got was also slightly firmer than usual and much tougher to push.

I do the same thing as Tony stated, only with mineral spirits. I have found alcohol dries too quickly for my liking and I cant find a reason for anything as strong as acetone.

One thing never mentioned is how long is the rear grip. If you are doing a rear split grip where the grips are 4-6" in length, then a 1/2" OD on far butt just ahead of a gimbal or butt cap will be perfectly fine. If its a 12" or longer, forget it and go wit teh smaller one or shim it as stated by Tom K.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2009 11:46AM

Billy,
I am with you on the EVA hardness. I personally like the feel of the hard Batson EVA....but it would be nice to have an idea of what you are getting. ordered some different colored blocks that are softer...you can't mix those with the hard stuff.

I would ream to fit...it's not hard to do and it just fits better.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: July 12, 2009 11:55AM

Jerry, I assume the blocks Mudhole sells are the same as what the other place in NY sells. The blocks from the place in NY are firm, but once they are shaped and sanded, they are nowhere near the Batson EVA in terms of hardness.

If you are looking for EVA blocks which are firm and hard, I have the old Customgrip blocks in stock in several colors. This is as close to the hardness of Batson EVA as you will find. HEreis a link to my page which has a photo of the colors, as well as prices and samples of grips: [northeastrodbuilders.com]

Date: July 12, 2009 12:03PM

Another note on colored EVA blocks -WIth teh stuff teh place in NY has (which is what I assume the same as Mudhole has), the white is a total waste of money, it is soft and mushy, like a big block of craft foam from MIcheals, etc. I bought some a few years ago, and others have more recently - unless they've changed save your money. The other colors are OK, the block feels quite hard but teh reality is when it's turned down it softens up a bit - I'm not saying it is not good, because I've used a bit of it and I do like it. When you turn it down with lathe tools the material gets shredded, it's kind of hard but not very dense, I dont' know how to explain it, but if you have used it you probably know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: Scott Burgess (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2009 01:39AM

I recently purchased a trolling rod kit from Jann's Netcraft for my first build. The kit's 3/4 inch EVA grips were larger than the .735 inch rod butt. I wrote to Jann's customer service asking whether I should use 5/8 inch grips instead. Bob recommended my staying with the 3/4 inch I.D. grips and build up the butt with masking tape.

My question is whether building up the butt with masking tape is the optimal solution, given the circumstances that this is my first build? Everything I've read or watched so far recommends a grip with an equal or smaller diameter. I want to be successful on this first build so a Murphy Proof solution is essential. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Rookie Rod Builder

Scott "AKA Scooter" Burgess
Warrenville, Illinois

Date: July 14, 2009 02:02AM

I don't know Bob, but I will say that he might have been more concerned with you spending $7 to ship a $4 grip, when you could make do with what you already have using his suggestion. Ideally you should use the smaller size grip.

Date: July 14, 2009 04:44PM

Hi Billy,
the Varigated Swirl block is nice I like it . Does it have hole? if yes what ID?
Royal Blue and white nice too!!!!

Thank you!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster