I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split rings on a cork handle?
Posted by: Reggie Finch (96.18.119.---)
Date: July 11, 2009 04:14PM

Hi All, I finaly got to try out two rods that I built for myself. The one that I call, "Spin-fly" was great. It is 71/2' and I had a Diawa closed face with trigger. (I was crappie fishing). The other an ultra light 5 1/2' with cork handle with slip rings. This one I had problems with. I believe that I've finished the cork handle to small for the rings. Is there any way to crrect this problem? The reel kept wanting to loosen up and at times slip off the handle. I thought that I read or saw in a catalogue some where that there is a tape simular to electrical tape that can be used to wrap and station the reel to the handle. And I have a question? I've been referring to this type of handle as a "Tennessee" type handle. Am I wrong?
And if so would some explain to me what is a "Tennessee" handle? I wait for you answers fellow rod builders

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split rings on a cork handle?
Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 04:37PM

I've fished that handle hard for 12 years and never had the reel budge. This is how I did it: I marked on the cork where the reel went. I got some Fuji hot glue and put two dabs on eather end of the reel seat and stuck it on the cork. I then put some more hot glue around the foot. I slipped the rings over reel foot very frimly and put some more dabs of hot glue on them. I then wraped it all in black eletrical tape. I just removed the reel the other day and had the devil of a time getting it off after 10 years of fishing. There is a HUGE difference in eletrical tape! Forget the cheap chinese stuff at Wal Mart and get 3M Scotch professonal tape. Much more streatchy and sticky.

On my most recent rod I've got rid of the slide rings all together. Just going to use tape and hot glue or maybe even Rod Bond. I don't mix and match my reels so it works for me. Oh and these are ultra-light spinning rods. On my heavier rods I use Fuji reel seats.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 10:24PM

Or, just take some Scotch Super 88 electrical tape and tape it. Will never move again. May look a litle ghetto...

Paul

Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 11:20PM

Hi Reggie,
I think you where talking about tommy tape.
Here is the link: [www.tommytape.com]

Jerry

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 03:00PM

A slip ring reel seat is just that...slip rings. A Tenn. handle has no rings, the intention is to just tape the reel on with high grade electrical tape (Scotch Brand).

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr02.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 17, 2009 02:06PM

I like slip rings on cork and use them. No probs. If you want a temporary mont for your reel use a long piece of nylon tyrap. Just do a cris cross patern over the reel foot, start on one side..go around the cork, go over the other reel foot side and back under the cork, and cross back over the the original foot side and feed the tip into the head and pull tight. Then use pliers to grasp the tag end snug up against the head and twist the pliers and that will snug the tyrap up even more. Be very careful and cut the tag end off at the head as true and clean as you can with a sharp knife. Not likely to happen due to the location of the head but......if you use dykes or flush cutters it will usually cut at an angle....leaving a mountain top type peak on one end that is very very sharp. A fast movement over this point with your forearm or such will slice you wide open. So be sure to trim it so there are no sharp points. Then you can always cut it off if you want to change reels. This could also be done with waxed 12 cord.....or probably a lot of other things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster