I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Columbia River
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 02:26PM

Hey all,

My father wants me to build a rod, for an upcoming trip, to shore fish the Columbia River east of Portland, OR. We're in Minnesota so need help to determine the best type of rod to build for him. He wants a two piece and I chose to stick to the Batson line of blanks. If anyone knows what the guys who fish that area typically use I would sure like to know. Guess some variables I need answered are blank length, power and action. Just to save time I am aware of the CSS so I know that those variables are subjective depending of the manufacturer.

In advance, thanks.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Columbia River
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 03:35PM

I fish for Sturgeon from a boat, so don't have personal knowledge, but have seen the bank fishermen for sturgeon and have seen that they use Spinning rods up to 16' long. I suggest you give Karry Batson a call or send him an email. I am sure he can answer your question.
Kerry

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 03:37PM

Chad where up river on the Columbia are you fishing and what fish are you targeting.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 03:44PM

I agree with Kerry H or give Todd Vivian a call at Mudd Hole. Todd designed a lot of rods for the Columbia River. While he was at Lamiglas. You have to remember the Big C is a wide fast river

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 05:09PM

I've built some big surf rods for Columbia Sturgeon fishing.

Most of the serious guys want 15 footers. These blanks come from Lamiglas and are probably the market leader in the area. They offer 2, 2-piece 15' blanks taylor made for Columbia bank anglers. Angler's workshop used to sell extensions for the 12' fiberglas blanks so check with them as well. It's a little less expensive than the G1000 surf/bar series.

Batsons makes a couple of 13'ers, that would be more than adequate. Talk to Karry about extensions.

Terry

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 07:56PM

For a boat fishing sturgeon I built Sabre E-glass LB-70H.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 11:22PM

Bob, I believe the guys he talked to last year where somewhere along I-84 near a dam and they were fishing for Salmon.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 12, 2009 03:12AM

I have bank fished below the dams along the Columbia for salmon, usually springers. The water is pretty fast. Since we are 'plunking' and want the weight to stick you have to throw at least one railroad spike, usually two, or the current walks it on down the channel until your stuff gets hung up on something.
Hopefully not the rig of the next person down the line! Sometimes that can be a source for some harsh words/stares/etceteras. I have some 10 footers and some 14's. I got the 14's at the urging of some fellow anglers when I was getting ready to go for the first time, still trying to figure out what I needed at the time.
Personally I prefer to throw the 10's. I think my 14's are just to big. Maybe because they have a real fat grip area. I wrapped them with a 3 strand twisted nylon. I will probably re-wrap one with a smaller size cord to fit my hands better and see if I like that. Currently I don't have a 12, but I think that would be a good size. That could be one of my coming projects.
Most of the guys throw a dropper weight attached to a fair size spreader bar. Maybe a 6" drop and about a 12" spreader. Then you have a spinner set-up, or a quick fish / flat fish / some other favorite plug attached to the spreader to trail in the current.
Some throw spinning reels and some throw casting reels. You need to ask which he prefers.
Hope that helps some.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2009 09:03AM

Yes, you really need to find out if he is fishing sturgeon or salmon. Andy's details give you a good place to start. For salmon, you generally don't cast as far out as you try to for sturgeon, but you'll still need to have the rod handle a decent sized weight, around 16 oz sometimes.

Shoot me an email if you want more info.

Terry

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 12, 2009 07:34PM

Something else that may come into play is the type line to use, braid versus mono or co-polymer. The braid is much thinner so it has less drag from the current. When you have a fair amount of line out sideways to the current (like from shore fishing) the current pressure on the line can really come into play requiring a heavier weight to stick as compared to a braid line. Generally the water is fairly clean and the bottom rather rocky due to the current, not much in the way of sand or mud.
When they hook a salmon / steelhead / sturgeon, all of them put up a pretty good fight and can weigh several pounds. Often you may think you have them close at hand, ready for a net or landing, when they decide to run again and peel off several yards of line in a fairly short span of time. They also seem to have an affinity for using the current to their advantage.
Just a few points to consider when choosing guides.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 12:03AM

I'd say considering the investment of travel from MN to OR go with a guide and use his equipment. Besides that fishing from a boat will be much more productive - BIG river. Maybe even find a guide who will do combo trips of salmon/steelhead/sturgeon. If your dad insists on a self guided trip go to [www.ifish.net] to study and ask questions about Columbia River bank fishing. Ifish.net is probably one of the premier regional fishing web sites in the country. If you ask a question to the group introduce yourself and explain where you're coming from / when you'll be there and chances are someone might offer to take you out or at least provide some in depth info. I live on the east end of the Columbia gorge (180 miles from PDX) or I'd offer myself. Email me if I can help any.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 09:28AM

Thanks Mike,

He's away for a few weeks but I'll pass the info on ifish.net upon his return.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster