I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snagging Rod????
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 07:40PM

I have a request for a rod that I need some sugestions for. They want a rod for someone that fishes mostly snagging fisheries here in Alaska. Yes it is legal, and no I don't support this method as a sporting way to harvest fish. It is what it is though. They want the rod to be a 2 piece not over 7 feet baitcaster. It will need to have a substantial backbone to it as they will be throwing 2-4 oz weighted treble hooks, and when salmon get snagged in the back they put up a fight like you have never seen. Try pulling a snagged salmon sideways through the water and see what happens. If anyone has any idea's that may fit this request it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kirk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snagging Rod????
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2009 09:26PM

A heavy duty Back Bouncing blank is your best bet. I believe several companies offer them in 7-footers and 2-piece design.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 11:40PM

Kirk...

Hello fellow Alaskan! The Batson Forecast RX6 is the material I would stick with in the Batson line of blanks. Otherwise, try and find a composite blank with a blend of fiberglass and graphite. And, the snagger will more than likely use 30 maxima chameleon, go with a blank that is rated for 50# line-like a saltwater jigging rod.

I respectfully tell those snaggers to go elsewhere if they want a rod built. Cause more than likely, the rod will come back to you in pieces. As you know, snaggers are very violent when snagging!

Take care Kirk!

Paul

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 12:49PM

Thank you for both of your inputs. I was thinking along the same line as you Paul. I dig those Batson RX6 Blanks. I have an RX6 8wt fly rod that I abuse every year on the Kenai, I have yet to break it. I used to tell people they were "Bullet Proof" until I had someone break one. Now I say they are tough almost 'Bullet Proof" but not "Idiot Proof". I am not sure what I will use yet, but I have some confidence in what I was thinking.
I hear what your saying on telling them to go elsewhere, but this is for a coworkers retirement. He is a great person, and I want this rod to be a small thanks for all that he has done over the last 40 years. I would normally encourage them to buy an Ugly Stick.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2009 03:52PM

I sugesst you look at the Lamiglas site to the left. Look at their TRI-FLEX blanks which you will read are a graphite/glass composite blank. and some of their series come in two piece blanks. One advantage for having a glass tip is that the softer tip section which shortens up the moment arm to make it a little easier to pull in the foul hooked fish. Having said that I agree with previous statements concerning snagging. I further understand this practice is allowed because of the numbers of returning fish and the states knowledge of how many fish are needed to spawn to keep the numbers up. Finally it sounds like this is for an older gentleman whose numbers won't be as many and his years tapering off. Some time we feel the need to reward those who have selflessly worked so hard for us. I had a subordinate who did an outstanding job for me that it was the least I could do to build him a good fly rod with a color change weave on it to express my thanks.
Kerry

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 03:04PM

Texas Caddis anyone?

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 07:33PM

Dupont Spinner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster