I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Repair Story
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 05:43PM

The earlier questions about repairs and opinions expressed reminded me of a story I heard about 2 yrs ago.

My Dad accepted a repair job where the client asked for a few guides replaced. The rod was in well used condition to say the least. A price was agreed upon and the client left the rod and went on his way. Later, Dad decided that the other guides were in bad shape so he stripped them off too. After that he decided that since all the guides were off he would clean up & refinish the blank. Not paint or anything like that just a fresh varnish or poly coat. He even cleaned & polished up the grips & seat and as the rod didn't have the correct number of guides to begin with he add what was needed. Dad loves to do rebuilds/restorations and also this client was a local in the small town where Dad lives. He wanted to really do this guy good and hopefully he would talk all over town and bring more work in. All the extra work was grattus of course.

Well, the guy comes in to pick up his rod is @#$%& when he see's it! He accuses Dad of making a switch and where is HIS rod! That can't be my rod he says.
Dad finally is able to calm the guy down and prove to him that the rod in fact was his and all the extra work to bring it back to glory was a pleasure and no extra charge.The client leaves apparently happy but teases Dad every so often when they run into each other by saying he still thinks he got a different rod. At least Dad says it's teasing but I often wonder.

Do you see any lessons here? I did!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Repair Story
Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: July 10, 2009 06:01PM

No good deed goes unpunished?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 10, 2009 06:43PM

Indeed Richard!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.gatcf.jcu.edu.au)
Date: July 10, 2009 11:23PM

Slight communication breakdown??? Always good to have a happy customer in the end, and the gentle ribbing can be handled, but....... more than the work originally agreed on was done. Maybe should have let him know that a bit of extra restoration would do the rod some good, advise him of what's happening and what to expect.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2009 08:16AM

Such is the business world. For many years I offered rod repair to my customers. Often I'd inspect the rod for additional repairs that might be needed at the time the customer brought it in. That way, we could decide then and there if that work would proceed as well. Once in a while, however, I'd miss something and only discover it later when I was performing the original repair. In every case I'd call the customer and inform him of the problem and get an okay before starting anything he didn't agree to at the outset.

It's also a good idea to keep the damaged parts - broken guide, cracked tiptop, etc., and twist tie it to the rod. This provides proof that anything you did replace actually needed replacing.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2009 12:32PM

Communication is indeed one of the lessons here. Customers HATE surprises of any type except maybe paying a lower price than originally quoted. In this case, price had a lot to do with why the customer was reluctant to beleive he was not getting his rod but a different one. He couldn't understand not being charged more for all the work that had been done and for what ever reason in his mind he thought some hokey pokey was going on at first. If my dad would have tried to get more than the quoted price, dude wouldn't have concidered any hokey pokey I'm sure of it.

Rods can be heirlooms and hold lots of memories too. Doing the wrong thing to one without consent even with good intentions can cause one to loose more than just a customer.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster