I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

made of ???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.piscataway-01rh15-16rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 04:00PM

Does any one know what Loomis made there rods and or blanks out of - 20-25 years ago ?? Graphite, glass.

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: made of ???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2009 05:09PM

G.Loomis debuted in 1982. Their initial catalog featured rods made from Narmco 33 million modulus graphite. In 1986 they introduced the world's first rods made from Hercules IM6 fiber. By the late 1980's, they did offer IGFA offshore trolling blanks made from fiberglass. But their general business has centered around graphite almost exclusively. So too did Gary Loomis's earlier company, LCI (Loomis Composites, Inc.). They did not offer finished rods until about 1984 or 1985. I'd have to go back and look at the catalogs to be sure about the exact date, however.

The new company, which many have speculated about, Northfork Composites, will launch at ICast next week. I have already seen their catalog and therefore have a good idea what they're going to offer and how they're going about things. I suspect they are going to be hugely successful.

I could say more, but have been asked not to do so.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.piscataway-02rh16rt-03rh15rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 10:36AM

Thanks Tom
Got a guy that had a rod made for him about 25 years ago. Broke it when a fish went under the boat - reds - Now I am wondering if this 8'6 2 pc rod was a composite and that is why it lasted so long, my guts are telling me a composite may be better ?

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2009 10:38AM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 11, 2009 02:30PM

If it's a gloss grey, it is standard Narmco 33 million modulus fiber. It probably last a long time because the guy knows how to use his equipment and doesn't do dumb things with it. Unfortunately, time and luck caught up with him and his rod on this last one.

Date: July 11, 2009 02:57PM

That is the kicker, he through it away ??? I'll ask, maybe he knows the color of it. Then I am seeing that some composites are a matte clear and some are black, guess that might depend on how much graphite they use.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 11, 2009 04:13PM

Any carbon or carbon composite is going to be charcoal grey in color. If you see black, you're most likely looking at paint.

Date: July 11, 2009 04:14PM

Any carbon or carbon composite is going to be charcoal grey in color. If you see black, you're most likely looking at paint.

If we're talking 20 years ago, G.Loomis, Inc. produced 3 different blank series. Regular graphite which was natural clear gloss. IM6 which were painted gloss burgundy, and IMX which were natural, unfinished, buffed charcoal grey.

Date: July 11, 2009 05:36PM

Looking at a lot of composite blanks they are usually black. Maybe to cover the tanish glass color. At least Batsons seem to be. Plus I will figure that 20 years ago blank prices were at least half the price they are now.

I know paint from clear when I see it

Can't wate for my cable on this computer.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2009 09:04PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster