I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

number wt for fly rods
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 06:59PM

Can someone give a very brief explanation on the meaning of the numbers for fly rods, #5, #2 etc. I have also seen some with a #24, and what would be a correct weight for catching trout in the 2 to 5 lb range. Thank you gentlemen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: number wt for fly rods
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 07:55PM

Kevin,

The number associated with fly rod is the weight of line the rod can cast effectively. In essence it is a measure of the power of the rod. The AFTMA is an organization that sets the criteria. In olden days the line ratings were based on the diameter of the line. Today the line number is based on the weight of the first thirty feet of the line. The AFTMA sets up a scale for each line number. For example a rod designated a 5 Wt requires the first thirty feet of a line must weigh between 134-146 grains.

Of course you can see that if you used a #7 fly lie you could still cast the rod, but you would need less than thirty feet to get enough weight to load the rod. If you used a lighter weight line, you would need more than thirty feet to properly load the rod.

If you look at the left hand side of this web site, you will find articles y Dr. Hanneman who has written a series of articles called the Common Sense System (AKA CCS). This system allows you to determine the relative power of one rod from another and to determine the line weight necessary to load a fly rod. Many of the rod builders who frequent this forum utilize the CCS system.

In terms of what rod you need for seeking after 2 to 5 pound trout, in my opinion you need to determine what kind of flies you intend to cast. If you are casting large wind resistant flies tied on a 4/0 hook and making long casts, you will need a powerful rod—perhaps an 8 to 10 weight rod. If you are going to make short casts with a fly tied on a #28 hook (about the size of a gnat), you can easily get by with a #1 weight rod. The weight of the prey you can land will be determined by your fishing prowess and the quality of the drag on your reel.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2009 09:10PM

The number on the rod is not an AFTMA rating. The AFTMA ratings are for fly lines, only, and are based on the weight of the first 30 feet of the line.

The number you see on the rod is an arbitrary rating based solely upon the subjective opinion of the designer as to which line he would use on that rod for the distance he intends it to be fished.

Any fly rod will cast any fly line, at some distance.

What type streams, rivers or lakes will you be fishing? The environment where you plan to seek these fish will have the main say in what rod you should select.

Date: July 09, 2009 09:50PM

I will be fishing in small shallow bays and lakes in the Louisiana marshland. I will most likely be tossing a lure with some size to them, but this will be in the future. I'm Attending a fly fishing class shortly. The next rod I make for myself will be a spinning rod with a bamboo blank or older bamboo fly rod that I will strip and start from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of blank I need for my rod. I usually use a St. Croix med/light blank for my rods, so I need a bamboo blank that is similar.

Date: July 09, 2009 10:16PM

If you're using a lure, you won't be using a fly rod. Fly rods are generally used for casting flies on the end of a fly line. I'll assume you're using that word "lure" interchangeably with "fly."

If you were to tell me that you planned on fishing a fly for these fish, in saltwater , for fish of that size, I would most likely steer you towards a fly rod in the general area of a number 7.

When you say that you have seen some numbered 24, I imagine what you've seen is the hook size of a fly, not the number on the rod.

Scientific Anglers used to publish a magazine called "Fly Fishing Made Easy." I think they still publish these yearly. Get a copy. Before you buy a blank, do a little more research on the basics of fly fishing. I think that once you have a better grasp of the tackle and technique, you'll be able to make a better buying decision.

Date: July 09, 2009 11:25PM

Thank you Tom, I'm in no hurry. Yes I did mean fly. There is a growing trend for fly fishing in the shallows for Redfish. I have a couple books on order, and along with this site I should be able to put together a very nice bamboo rod. I will not be buying a blank for a couple months or so, unless someone can tell me exactly what I need for my type of fishing.

Date: July 10, 2009 08:43AM

For shallow water fishing for either Trout or Redfish under 10lbs, a 7-weight rod would be something to look at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster