I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 09, 2009 02:11PM

Hy guys:
I got a guy that broke a trout/redfish rod. Wanted the specs of it, but he said he through it out ?
Any way been lookin around and wanted some suggestions of a 8'6 2pc to throw 1/2 oz on 14-20 lb line. O yea, reasonable price would be nice. I did notice Batson had a lot steelhead stuff that might work.
He going to do a casting, I'm trying to talk him to a spiral wrap ??
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 02:19PM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 03:14PM

Look at the IST 1025 Batson. Tip like a 3 power popping blank and the butt power of a heavy 4 or 5 power popping blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.50.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 03:52PM

I am more or less looking at the RX 6 and the composites and blends. Nicer priced

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2009 03:58PM

The IP964F would be a good choice IF he will move down 6".

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.50.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 04:40PM

The guys a dentist, whatever, and has a price range. If I can not fit to it and he does not go up, no build. I was looking at that one, on my list, not for the price.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 09, 2009 04:46PM

The SH 1025 is very similar to the IST 1025, Batson's pretty good at keeping similar actions up and down the blank series. They are also very similar in overall weight.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 05:24PM

Trout - Redfish - Budget - Pulling Teeth - If you can not match up with price send him my way!

Read this for a testimony! If you have any doubts contact Alan Beck via email and ask him how many rods he has sold in the last two weeks.

Remember a big red ain't exactly no sammon!

[rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 09, 2009 09:21PM

A big red and many other fish aren't salmon, but many of the fish, even the big ones in the east were caught on my NW salmon/steelhead rods back in the mid 80's when I was stationed in Miami. I used the G Loomis ST 1025 (much like the Batson 1025s), BB 965, HS 931, and especially the HS 9000c and S to catch a bunch of fish. The Pt. Defiance salmon jigging spoon really seemed to get the fish's attention also, the long skinny profile I think did it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 01:40AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.cor.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 09:58PM

Guys, Bill is right. It's kind of hard to build an 8 foot rod on a budget. It is also going to be hard to get any 2 piece rod to hold up to a redfish. If you want the ideal rod then you need to get the parts from bill stevens at swampland tackle. in an 8 foot 964 with micro guides and split grip handle. forget the spiral rap and put all the guides on top all the same size. and it will be the best rod you've got for the bay. i have been guiding for 9 years and building rods for 7 years and this is the hottest thing i have seen come out of the fishing world in a long time. in fact, since bill introduced me to this rod set up. i have shown it off at the boat ramp and let my customers fish with it and now i have sold 20. so my winter time filler of rod building is now full time. Thanks Bill. Get one in the guys hands and you will become the rod building master.

Date: July 09, 2009 10:02PM

I have TONS of inshore rods. My all-time favorite is my G Loomis HS9000 ... a Salmon/Steelhead Hot Shot blank.

I have two clients that have actually purchased that specific blank for storage prior to the discontinuance. Both of them are professional guides and inshore tournament pros that have a silly number of rods ... they still reach for the HS9000 more than others.

My favorite spinning rod is built on a casting blank ... a St Croix 3C68MXF.

The real trick with blanks is to bend them, not judge them by their assigned factory criteria. Failure to do so, will greatly limit design opportunities.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.82.5.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 01:34AM

Bill:

I hope Alen made money on the ones he sold. I don't give my labor away. Things i have read about reds is that they can go up to 80-90 lbs. Average is under 40. Guys son broke the one 8'6 he had. don't know how but because of that the blends sound nice. That 964 looks promising.

Talk to you tomorrow,

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.cor.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 04:51AM

bill
yes iam not in it for practice ,you put one in his hands youll make money too!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 09:04AM

If you know for certain your reds will be 80 - 90# do not use one of the blanks I have reccommended. Call someone else and ask for a stand up tuna stick for your dentist friend.

Date: July 10, 2009 09:23PM

Lamiglas Travel XT102-3H is enough blank to handle 40# drum. BTW, the world record is 94#.

You had everyone on a goose chase. The original post mentioned a "trout/redfish" rod. To attempting pairing trout with 40# redfish on the same build is like caviar on a Ritz cracker ... it doesn't work. Redfish are 3-10# with a few big boys in the Louisiana waters - they are an inland species. After that, red drum is a more appropriate term - they are an offshore species.

Yes, technically they are the same exact fish from a genetic standpoint. In the fishery they are really considered to be a totally different animal and for good reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 09:23PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.piscataway-02rh16rt-03rh15rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 10:56AM

Found out more info about the one he broke. Seems it was a 25 year old custom Loomis blank. Talking to Tom seems back then they had started with IM 6 graphite and composites.
Rod broke when the fish went under the boat. Some thing like high sticking ?? Makes me think the composites may be the way to go. More durability.

Wish I had the blank numbers.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster