I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Rod
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.static.networktel.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 04:14PM

Hello gentlemen, I just finished building the last rod for the month. I have a little break in building and would like to build a rod for myself. I Would like to do something different for mine and was thinking of using a Bamboo blank for my rod to fish for speckled trout in the surf. What are your thoughts on this. Can I use an old bamboo fly rod or is this not possible, or do they sell bamboo blanks somewhere. Is this just a bad idea altogether. I have seen some vintage bamboo fly rods for sale but would have to strip these rods and start from scratch, which I wouldn't really mind doing. Any Suggestions. It seems like a fun Idea. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2009 04:25PM

Angler's Roost - Talk to Johnny Kuhne. I've seen 2 of the blanks he's importing and frankly they're very nice. Very well finished as well. If you want to start the blank rather than making it yourself, I think you'd be pleased with what he offers.

You can call him at:716-565-9838 or email him via jksanglersroost@aol.com.

By the way, some well known rod builders that rely on Johnny for their bamboo blanks are Ken Preston and Joy Dunlap.

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.static.networktel.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 04:38PM

Thank you Tom, I am definitely going to give it a try, getting a little bored with the same building for customers. It's time for a little challenge.

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 06:14PM

Has anyone used a bamboo blank or old bamboo fly rod for a spinning application

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2009 06:16PM

At one time, nearly all rods, fly, surf, boat, casting and even spinning, were made from bamboo.

Date: July 08, 2009 06:41PM

Good to know,I'm getting excited about this project. Thank you

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.81.139.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 06:45PM

If you are bored try this site and build from scratch :[www.canerods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Lohkamp (---.211.255.206.cable.srcy.cablelynx.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 07:00PM

It all depends on what you want in a personal rod. If you just want something cheap and quick, then ripping apart a H&I or Montegue will turn into a functional rod. Of course the good vintage rods cost appropriately, and the hardware store production rods will make up into an updated hardware store rod.

There are a couple of import blanks that will produce a decent rod, at least most of the time. I have heard some down talk about them, and some good things. You hear little praise from people that craft bamboo rods... and craft is the thing I think you should look into. Bamboo doesn't lock you into what some marketing drone thinks you should use. Bamboo can be crafted to the length, weight, and action that fits you and the way you fish.

My recommendation is that you go take a look at a site like [splitcaneblanks.com] for a start. Email some of the makers and see what they can do for you. You will end up with a blank that is crafted for you, in the way you want it.

Larry.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 08:42PM

Angler's Roost has a pretty good rep from the people I know that have used them. Beautiful finish job on their bamboo and an unbelievable price for quality cane blanks. They are also a sponsor here.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 01:58AM

I also support the Anglers Roost recommendation I have built out 3 of their blanks and they are very nice and John is a pleasure to work with.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 02:32AM

My I recommend first getting as much literature on basic bamboo rod making. make a couple of rods from pre- made Bamboo blanks. If that is to your liking try doing one from scratch. Ether process is labor intensive. A true custom rod maker and designer are those who build Bamboo Rods. I know there are sites dedicated to the craft. Maybe someone can chime in where those sites are located

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.68.149.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 07:31AM

This should give you plenty of information : [www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 08:13AM

You can also get decent quality blanks in a number of tapers from: www.headwatersbamboo.com

They are imported, but I've built on them and they are decent quality. Watch where the node placements are however on these. Some of the makers in Asia don't always pay as close attention to node stagger and can create weak spots.

Terry

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 08:57AM

Hi Kevin,
I've rebuilt a couple of bamboo fly rods that had been in my family for quite some time, and it is great fun! I ended up stripping everything, and using just the blanks
A few things to keep in mind when re-building "old junk":
1) The finished product will only be as good as the blank with which you start. You can hang Titanium guides on it, but a Montague is still a Montague.
2) Vintage bamboo rods can have some problems to overcome:
a. Cracked ferrules, which can be costly to replace, or difficult to find
b. Delaminating strips of bamboo, which are actually easy to repair
c. Unless you have small hands, it is likely that you will find the grips are too small, and you will want to replace them.
d. The guides are probably rusted or corroded
e. Cracked reel seats-for some reason, probably to save money, by eliminating 21/2 inches of bamboo, these were often mounted extended past the end of the blank. They had little or no support.
f. There is much more, but I can't remember-haven't had my coffee yet. And I'm sure you will encounter challenges that never occured to me.
3) Decide if you want a "street-legal" restoration or a functional fishing tool. Agate strippers are nice to look at, but they are not as durable, or as functional, or as light as ceramic, and they cost $30 each, plus shipping.
If you're still interested-Go for it!!!
Feel free to drop me a line, if you want.
George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 09:09AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 01:22PM

I forgot to mention I believe Tonkin (MS) is the best cane when it comes to a Bamboo blank

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 09, 2009 07:03PM

Thank you all. I plan on taking this real slow and will do probally way to much research. I only put out quality fishing rods and put alot into the rods I make for myself, although I dont have alot time to do my own because of demand. I figure I will work on it from time to time and have it finished within 6 months.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2009 08:38AM

Go for it! I fish vintage "boo" often , mostly over reefs & wrecks , for tog , sea bass , triggerfish . I have a favorite that is a spiral wrap , I have caught many nice fish as well as the eye of many fishermen ! Its lots of fun ! GO FOR IT ! ! Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster