I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big Cat Blank
Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 10:18AM

Hi guys,

I'm starting to fish the big cats we have here in europe and it seems that I don't have the rod to handle them... thought my heavier rod will explode yesterday with a 40lbs fish... and there are really, really bigger ones.

Many spinning rods are available but I'm a baitcasting guy.
I need something 7' long that is able to cast 4oz weights or lures and can handle fish up to 100lbs, with an avarage of say 60lbs.
I use 50lbs to 100lbs braid but I'm not sure it's usefull to go that heavy.

To have an idea of how a fight can look like with these fish, type "silure" in youtube.

I've allready been told I should go with a saltwater blank.
The Forecast/Rainshadow RCLB serie looks good (and cheap), but I'm not sure about the model to use. L, ML or M ?
Also there are the SWS series, lighter but less powerfull too.

Am I in the right way ?

Cheers from France,
Pierre

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Cat Blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2009 10:37AM

You might also take a look at the upper end of the models offered for Muskie fishing.

Date: July 08, 2009 10:45AM

That's what I looked for at first, because they are light and powerfull, but I was told they are too mutch stiff for that application.

I can't say since I never had one in hands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 10:46AM by Pierre Lavignotte.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 12:03PM

I would recommend a look at the Lamiglas Tri-Flex Graphite Inshore and the Lamiglas Texalium Inshore. The TXC84-1M will pull a Ford truck backwards. I use the longer models ... 7'8" in the 12-20# class to fight 100-150# tarpon. The heavier 15-30# class is almost too much rod.

The blanks are EXTREMELY durable, VERY strong and yet incredibly light for the weight to power ratio. They are exceptional blanks IMO.

Contact Todd Vivian at Mud Hole Tackle. He designed both series while working as the designer at Lamiglas. You can reach him via e-mail through the vendor site.

Jim -

Date: July 08, 2009 12:37PM

Thanks Jim, what you said make me drooling :P

The TXC84-1M is rated as 3/4-3 while the TXC92-1ML (the one you use if I understand correctly) is rated for 1/2-2 1/2.
Do you consider these lure ratings are correct ?

If you have some pictures or even better a video with this blank fighting a tarpon, please shoot me an email.

Thank you,
Pierre

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 12:47PM

Those lure and line ratings are NOT correct. At least not the way I see it. Please remember that each manufacturer has their own subjective system for rating blanks/rods. I have a factory Shimano Teramar 8'0" XXH sitting in my rack ... it is rated as 20-40# and 2-5 ounces. It doesn't have squat on the 12-20# Tri-Flex, much less the 15-30# model.

Send me a regular e-mail and I will forward a video of a Tri-Flex pulling on a tarpon. Make sure you sent the message from an account capable of receiving a large video file.

Jim -

Date: July 08, 2009 01:03PM

I think GMail doesn't have attachement size limit : pierre.lavignotte@gmail.com

Thanks,
Pierre

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 02:50PM

Pierre,

My first shipment of Ulua plugging rods should be arriving today or tomorrow. Made by Lamiglas. This is the first production run, so they may not be listed in the Lamiglas catalogs. We designed them for catching Ulua at Christmas Island using 80 to 100# braid. They are 8' 6" long, 2 piece, Spinning, Alconites, split grips, 60-100# rating, It is basically a TP 8650 SP on steroids with an improved handle configuration and Fuji components. The gimbal has been removed to better faciitate plugging while using a fighting belt/harness.

The model number is TP 8680 SP.
The following link shows the other TP models:
[www.lamiglas.com]

Brian's Fishing Supply will be receiving the bulk of the first shipment. He was instrumental in the design and development of these rods. He is exceptionally knowledgeable in this area and will be able to answer any questions.

The contact info for Brian follows: (808) 596-8344
[www.donstacklehawaii.com]

Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 03:04PM by Don Becker.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 10:12PM

Lamiglas TP 8650 SP & TP 8680 SP arrived this afternoon and will be delivered to Brian's Fishing Supply tomorrow morning (Thursday) at about 9:00 AM HST (GMT -10:00).

Lamiglas has reconfigured the TP 8650 SP to match the TP 8680 SP. Fuji New Concept guides, split grips, size 16 tiptop, etc.

Mahalo to Lamiglas for a great job.

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster