I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Guide Setup RCLB70L
Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 03:49PM

I decided on a blank and got my new reel as a birthday present yesterday. Now comes the learning curve. I have never spiral wrapped a rod and wanted to give it a try on my new striper fishing outfit. Any suggestions on what guides (particularly size and numbers of them) I should be using and approximate spacing. The blank is a Batson RCLB70L and the reel is an Avet SX. Also what axises should I be placing the guides to get the proper distribution of power.

Thanks again! I know I can count on you guys to give the most trusted information available.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Guide Setup RCLB70L
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 04:14PM

As long as you have the Rainshadow blank, which is a great choice, why not try the Alps guides, also from Batson Enterprises. The XN series look good and offer a range of frame and ring materials. Also SS316 stainless, good for salt water use. The LXN's are a bit lighter, but a good choice. As for the spiral, you'll have to figure which method you want to use to get the guides around. Thats the key, just get them around. I have a bunch of spiral wrapped rods but still think that the three guide transition is alot better looking than the other methods. Personal choice. Start with the butt guide, using the Avet on the seat. Then just get the guides around using one or two to get to the bottom. You could put your transition guide, (the first one on the bottom) at the "choke point" or cut off point, where the blank makes it's most flex under load. Sounds simple and it is. Ahhh, simple? You could use the simple spiral method as well. Do a search for the simple spiral, it's as easy as it sounds.

Posted by: David Teague (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 06:48PM

Derrek...is the avet sx left or right hand retrieve??? on non level wind reels you can set up your stripper guide and transition guide to stack the line to one side of spool as you reel... you might wonder why you would do this on purpose..but by doing so you only have to level one side of the spool manually and the guides will pull the line back to the other side of the spool..make sense? Just a little tid bit I learned from this site...just wish I came across it earlier.

Dave

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 07:07PM

A few suggestions Derrek,

The Avet SX is a small reel so you won't need a very big butt guide. A #12 or #10 is where I would start. I think the Batson website has the spacing chart for all of their blanks. Check the Batson website & forum. There are also 2 articles in the library section here (see link in black bar above) both having to do with guide placement. Do yourself a favor and don't just rely on the spacing chart. Use it as a starting point and make your adjustments from there per the article in the Library Section of this board.

I also highly suggest getting the special RodMaker issue on CD that has much information on guides. All rod types are discussed with specific details on guide sizing and types, spiral lay-outs included as well as an article by Rich Forhan. An awesome referance source for any rod builder.

On my website there is a "Degree Wheel" created my Mark Griffin at @#$%& that is an aid to guide placement for 3 of the popular spiral wrap methods. I think it's on the Misc. page..

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 09:40PM

Check out the Simple Spiral (topic search or Rod Maker mag). I love it and it is sooooo easy!

Les

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 10:02PM

Derrek, I built a striper rod on that exact blank -- it's a wonderful blank for live-lining spot or croaker to bass (I built mine for my once-a-year charter trip in the Cape May Rips). I used a larger (and cheaper) reel than you (Penn 330 GTI), but otherwise the setup is very similar to what it sounds like you're looking for.

I used the simple spiral, and it worked well. I would actually highly recommend the simple spiral for this kind of live bait rod, because the blank is fast -- extra-fast, really -- and you won't have to resolve the most difficult aspect of of building a spiral, which is configuring the transition guides in an area where the blank has a lot of flex (almost all of the flex in this blank is in the first half). Figure out the size of your running guides, and the size of your stripper -- and Ray is right about the stripper; you won't need a big one -- and you'll be most of the way there.

I don't have my striper rod at hand, but email me, and when I get home I'll send you the details of the spacing and configuration I did. It won't work exactly for you -- you'll still want to make sure you configure things for your blank, not mine -- but it will give you a starting point if you don't know where to start.

Whatever you do, stick with a spiral wrap on this rod. On this kind of rod, a spiral is a natural, and once you've determined a good configuration, you'll be glad you went with a spiral. My last trip in the Rips, I whipped some decent fish -- over 30 lbs. -- very easily, while guys with heavier conventional rods had to work a whole lot harder. It's worth spending a bit more time getting a good spiral setup, because the finished rod will be a superior fish-fighting tool.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2009 10:11PM

RodMaker Volume 8 #5 has an article on Live Bait blanks and includes a Simple Spiral setup for a 7 foot live bait blank. It includes handle dimensions and guide sizing and spacing. Just something else you can consult.

Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 09:40PM

Thanks guys for all of the valuable information as always. Tom, I will be in touch to get that copy . . . and Chris I will be shooting you an e-mail shortly. Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster