I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which is better?
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 12:27PM

Hardloy or Alconite guides hold up better in salt water fishing? I know Titanium is best but wondering about the the two mentioned. Also will 12lb mono pass through a #6 guide with no problem?

Thanks,
Roger
Greensboro, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which is better?
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: July 07, 2009 12:57PM

Alconites are lighter and look better than Hardloy. Pretty sure the frame material is the same, weight is also dependent on the guide style. Both ceramics will work very well in saltwater, Hardloys are cheaper, but Alconites are not that expensive anyway.

12 lb mono will have no issues going through a #6 guide at all, unless you are running ridiculously heavy leaders (like over 60 lb) and passing knots through the running guides.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 01:06PM

I use alot of Fuji Alconite guides as well as the American Tackle Nanolites.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 01:25PM

Keep in mind that with salt, it's the frame material that is affected, not the ring material

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 01:52PM

#1 - Black Alconite guides will hold up better than Black Hardloy guides. The paint/clearcoat on the Alconite is a superior finish and withstands the saltwater better. BTW, black frames do fight off corrosion better than chrome frames.

#2 - Yes, 12# mono WILL pass through a #6 guide. As a matter of fact, it will pass through a lot smaller than that. I put #25 through #4 guides and there is TONS of room left. The line only occupies a very small percentage of the total space.

FYI, the cost difference between Hardloy and Alconite is very little. Alconite rings are actually more durable, lighter and smoother. In addition, they look a TON better IMO. Something about a grayish pink ring that just doesn't work for me.

For the money, the Alconite guide is really quite the deal IMO. However, don't forget to rinse and repeat after EVERY trip. Saltwater is tough on even the best of components.

Jim -

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 01:56PM

And when finish is applied make sure the feet are coated - all around, or saltwater may get under at the feet.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 02:17PM

Thank you for all the replies.

Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 02:37PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And when finish is applied make sure the feet are
> coated - all around, or saltwater may get under at
> the feet.

Yes it will.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 03:49PM

This should be a surprising answer to your question about line going through guides - be sure to observe the line rating and ring size pictured.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster