I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning reel for jigging
Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 06:03AM

hello,
I would like to ask you what size of spinning reel would you use for jigging rod rated 300g.
My choice would be Shimano Saragosa or Quantum Cabo.
I would like to be able to handle AJ's.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning reel for jigging
Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.NSW.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 07, 2009 06:20AM

Although the question is off topic on a rod building forum i'll still chime in with a reply so that it may save you some money. I asked about the Sara on anohter board and was informed af a few problems with the reel and recieved the suggestion to look torwards the Spheros instead for a bdget layout. The ultimate reel for that 300g jigger would the Stella 20k or the 6500 expedition if your budget can stretch to it

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: July 07, 2009 10:20AM

I guess the Saragosa has a few bugs, considering it's supposed to be the upgraded version of the Spheros. The Spheros FB is certainly capable, but the Cabos and Bocas have also been pulling heavy duty all over since they were introduced. I think Mike Pedersen (Riley Rods) has some good feedback on the Quantums.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 10:42AM

Jerry,
About three things are important in a spinning reel.
Smooth drag,
Smooth drag,
Smooth drag.

Smooth gears,
Smooth gears,
Smooth gears.

You can often find a reel that meets your needs very well for $10, or if you want to spread it out a bit, you can spend $800.

Is there a difference between the $10 and the $800 reel - yes, Maybe.
In the end, the thing that a fisherman needs is a smooth drag, smooth gears, nice feel, and the weight that you want for the reel.
In a spinning reel, you need bearings on each side of the reel, and bearings at each end of the spool This means 4 bearings. Any more than that- normally gives very little added performance to the reel. The one thing th at more bearings give the owner is an advertising advantage.

Buy the reel that works best for you to make you a better and happier fisherperson. If that means spending $10- spend it. If that means spending $1000 - spend it.

Enjoy and USE your choice.

A fishing rod and a reel is a Tool - to catch fish. Just like a hammer for a carpenter. The right hammer lets the carpenter build houses better and faster. The right rod and reel lets the fisherman catch more, and enjoy the catching more - for the quarry that he or she is after.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tho Saykosy (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 02:03PM

I've used a Cabo 60 on a 16oz rod. And I built my brother a 500g rod that he's using a Stradic 8000 on, works great for him in up to 800 ft of water.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 08, 2009 12:17AM

Almost any reel will do the job
the issue is for how long
the stresses in deep jigging are high and cheaper reels just protest at the load sooner.
in general terms you gets what you pays for, reels, rods, blanks.

Posted by: Philip Marz (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 08:34PM

The Penn Slammer is very durable and can handle pretty much what ever you can through at it. I service many different types, most of which are made to self destruct. The Penn's have the least number of problems provided its serviced once in awhile and not drown during washing.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster