I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fogged up finish
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2009 04:11PM

I am by no means a pro. this is only my 3rd rod but of all the trouble i have run into in those 3, finish was never one of them. My finish has always been crystal clear and level because I closely followed what I read and never deviated from that. This time however I applied A 2nd coat of flex coat high build and whenit dried, it looked like it has fog on the outside of it. Like it's extremely humid and i could just wipe this condensation right off but the finish is hard as usual and the fog doesn't come off. what has caused this? how can I prevent it from ever happening again, and can I fix it or help it at least?

Brandon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fogged up finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2009 04:18PM

Most likely it is amine blush and occurs where there is a precise combination of humidity and CO2 present.

Best you can do is set the rod in a very warm place, even in the sun, and allow it to fully cure. Sometimes the blush can be removed by wiping few times over a period of a few days. But it may never fully clear.

Another possibility is that you didn't mix the 2 component parts well enough and the incomplete mix has a cloudy appearance.

Date: July 06, 2009 04:46PM

I mix by a timer- usually 3 minutes. It was mixed well I'm sure. You're other explanation is interesting bacause I do this work in my garage and on the day I did this it was kind of cool but nice so I had the garage door up. While I was finishing up it had warmed up considerably and a storm front moved in and started to rain. when i came back out of the house it was very humid in the garage and that's when I noticed it. What should I wipe it down with? Just a wet cloth or what? I'll sit it in the sun this evening. Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2009 04:57PM

Just let it cure and wipe with a soft cloth. This may help some, but it will not be a total cure.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 06, 2009 05:44PM

When I've had the same problem, some time in the hot sun cured the problem.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2009 06:08PM

How about using a hair dryer? I've had a similar problem when I did not close up the gap in the tunnel under the guide foot and moisture gets in there. Just let it dry up and then redo the epoxy in the tunnel and problem fixed.

Posted by: Greg Hutchinson (---.a.002.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 07, 2009 08:47AM

I had a similar thing happen to me about a week ago (I posted it on the forum). Tom suggested amine blush and it probably was.
Initially I was going to strip the guides and rewrap but I figured I had nothing to lose. It was only a cheap blank and I was building it
for my own use so I left it in warm full sun for a few days.
After three days it had improved quite a bit but the cloudy surface was still visible so I scuffed it off with1000 grit wet and dry sandpaper
and put another coat of epoxy on and it came up perfect, at least to my eye.
I can't tell the difference comparing it with other rods epoxy that did not have this problem.
If it was a high end blank for a paying customer, I don't know,maybe rewrap, but I honestly can't see any problem with the finish now.
Cheers, Greg

Date: July 07, 2009 10:22PM

Greg,

You just scuffed it up then reapplied finish? doesn't that make it look scuffed underneath?

Posted by: Greg Hutchinson (---.001.lgcvx-syd002.cvx.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 08, 2009 12:16AM

Well, when I say "scuffed it off" I actually meant that I sanded the cloudy (fogged) finish off.
1000 grit is pretty fine and after brushing any dust off I recoated the wrappings and no it doesn't look scuffed underneath.
I cut and folded a 40mm long and 6mm wide strip of wet &dry and just took care not to go down to the thread or onto the blank.
Worked for me.
Cheers, Greg

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 12:46AM

brandon edwards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greg,
>
> You just scuffed it up then reapplied finish?
> doesn't that make it look scuffed underneath?

Sanding finish is more common than you think . I usually dont go any finer than 400grit without any scuffs showing up in the recoated finish.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 10:29AM

Brandon,

The only time you may see a dull looking spot where you sanded is if you do it over high gloss black. You WONT see any scratches, you'll just see a spot where the black doesn't look as black as it did before. I take my sanding down to at least 600 grit when needed and if I sand a spot with black under it, I sand the entire area for uniformity in apearance.

DR.

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 01:04PM

thanks guys you are all very helpful

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster