I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning butt guide
Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2009 10:58PM

hey,
I would like to ask you where should I place butt guide on jigging spinning rod. I can't use the 27x.
this is my first SW short rod with long handle and big reel and i dont know where to place it.

thank you Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning butt guide
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 11:20PM

Jerry,
A method that works pretty well is to mount the reel that you want to use on the rod.
Put the tip that you intend to use on the rod.
Pull line off the reel, thread it through the guide that you intend to use, and continue the line to the tip of the rod.
Turn the reel, so that the line is at its further most position from the blank.
Move the guide up and down the line on the taunt line and place it on the blank where it just touches the blank as it slides down the line from the reel.

If you think that the guide is a bit too far up the rod, you can move it slightly back, putting a slight bend in the line. However, it is nice if you can have the guide placed so that it just touches the guide as it slides down the taunt line.
This means that during both casting and retrieving , the line follows the full circumference of the butt guide.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
When you use this method, it tends to let the builder use a bit larger than some folks might ordinarily use for the butt guide. But if you try this on a few rods, I suspect that you will find that it gives you the best casting distance, as well as the smoothest line retrieve.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2009 08:19AM

27X isn't for placement of the butt guide.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2009 09:19AM

Even though your question is vague, I have a hunch what you're asking: how to configure the guides on a blank/reel configuration where the x27 method puts the choker past the end of the blank's tip. Post more information, and you'll get more help, but I will say that if that's the situation you're in, go back and re-read the New Guide Concept article that contained the x27 method (I forget what issue it was, but if memory serves, it came out about two years ago). The big reel / short blank scenario is mentioned in the article, and I've found that the information contained there is exactly right for the situation. At least it was for me the time or two I found myself in that position.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2009 10:04AM

27X is the location for the BUTT GUIDE with the "Improved" New Concept layout.

However, in your situation, just position the guides to properly support the blank and handle the line. You aren't going to be casting that thing ... just dropping it overboard and jigging up/down.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2009 10:15AM

If you are talking about the same jigging rod as previously discussed, depending on your reel, you should have standard spin guides in something like 40-30-20-12 or 40-25-16-12. Depending on just how much room you from the end of the foregrip to the tip you have, you may or may not need a 5th guide. The tip will be your choker guide in this case and just set the rest up with the static test method.

If you notice I didnt go smaller than a 12 ring. The reason is often with this style rod, you are passing a braid to leader knot where the leader is 80# or greater mono. I have used up to 150# mono leader from PE8 braid in the past.

When you place your first guide, conventional thought will tell you it seems too close to the grip. It is not, keep in mind these blanks can and do bend all the way down into the foregrip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2009 10:17AM

For those that aren't aware, Jim's comment about the 27X and the "Improved" system is a bit of a joke - there have been some rod builders who with little to zero knowledge of the system made an incorrect assumption that the 27X factor was for locating the butt guide.

Back to Jerry's question - if the rod is so short and the reel so large that 27X puts the choker guide beyond the rod tip, then the tiptop becomes your choker guide. Set up between the reel and the choker (tiptop) as instructed in the article and you'll be just fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster