I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod for very young boy
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 11:48AM

I wish to build a fly rod for an advanced 5 year old who spin fishes quite well.

His father has requested that it be something that the son can use into his teens and maybe beyond.

He will be doing some pond/lake fishing as well as estuaries for small blues and twinkie stripers.

I am figuring it should be something about 7'-7'6" with a youth sized grip but large enough to allow for some growth. I also figure it should have a decent sized fighting butt so the boy can put it in his belly to fight fish as well as, perhaps, cast it 2 handed if that works for him.

I want a blank with a soft tip so he can at least load the tip for now; but a firm butt section that he can utilize as he grows.

I will build the rod as light as possible using only REC recoil single foot guides as runners. Maybe a single #10 Fuji Ti SiC stripper.

I have never built on the Rainshadow blanks before - but considering:

RX6: F764-2 or F765-2
RX7 IF764-2 or IF765-2

Any advice re blanks would be appreciated.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod for very young boy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2009 11:57AM

Fighting butts on rods of that size aren't really needed for putting into the "belly" - you just need something that will allow him to get the butt of the rod under and against his wrist/forearm. There are seats available that come with fighting butt kits that would allow him to use it now, but go without it later if decides he no longer needs it.

Don't go too small on the grip diameter - most commercial fly rod grips are already too small. Remember, you can always turn off a little if he finds it too large. My guess is than most any standard commercially produced fly rod grip will be fine, even for a 5 year old. If not, turn it down just a hair. Even a single MM off the diameter can make a big difference.

Loading a rod has to do with selecting the proper line - not how soft or stiff the tip is. Just make sure you line it so that it will load easily at short distances. If you use the Common Cents System for measuring rod power, choose ERN = ELN+1 for good result at short to medium distances.

All of the Rainshadow models build into fine fly rods. The RX6 might give you a little more durability, which could be important for a young fly fisher.

Date: July 03, 2009 12:40PM

Tom,
Thank you for your input.
Herb

Date: July 03, 2009 12:40PM

Tom,
Thank you for your input.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 07:53PM

I second the Batson Rx6 recommendation. I finished one last year for my young grandson 7'6" 3wt and he loves it and fishes it well.. However, by the time he is a teenager, I expect I will have built him a number of heavier rods. Also keep in mind with a five year old any rod can get broken in a moment through carelessness or not understanding a rods limits.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 08:14PM

Herb,
I would put a small fighting butt on it just to help keep the reel out of the dirt when he sets the rod down.
George

Date: July 03, 2009 09:48PM

Phil,
How did you line the #3? Maybe I am going too high with the #5 for a 5yr old. I don't fish anything under a 9', #6. And those are fast sticks for saltwater. Lately I don't go under a #9 - so I don't know the 7'-7'6" capabilities - especially for a youngster.
Herb

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: July 04, 2009 09:18AM

When our 5 year old grandson wanted a fly rod we found he could not handle a 7 foot rod. So I built him one on a batson SP-721 6 foot two pcs. rod. He is now 10 years old and still uses the rod great for bluegill and crappie. If you make a rod to big for a 5 year old he will not be able to handle it properly. This all depends on the child some can and some cannot. If he cannot and you give them something they cannot handle they may not get the fun out of using it. If they have something they can handle they will love to use it. Big difference between a spinning rod and a fly rod. A spinning rod they can use for a long time. Maybe should have made a Fly-Spinning rod for him. He has a boxed presation fly rod and spinning rod.

Edwin Kime

Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 04, 2009 11:04AM

I taught my neices and nephews with a Avid 3F703.2, seven foot 3 weight rod. Here is my advice.....get him something he can use right away. Forget about him using it as a teen because by the time he is 14 he will want a 9' cannon anyway. Get a 2 piece for simplicity and a St. Croix in case he breaks it. Avid blanks are made in USA and you can get a replacement. Get a durable cheap Fuji seat and put a small "fighting butt" on it so he can set it on the ground/dock/driveway without banging up his reel. Your guide selection is perfect. I overline my Avid and use 4 weight line. A rod for a child is so different than one that a teen would want to fish with not sure you can make that work but here is a thought............after he gets older and wiser and his hair turns grey, long after we are all dust, he will pick up that little rod from his youth , remember who made it for him, and fall in love with it all over again and that "cannon" will be the rod left in the corner. BillyR

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.212.225.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 04, 2009 04:19PM

I've tried to teach 8 year olds with an 8" 4 weight. Too much rod to swing easily and they get frustrated with the effort. Find them always reaching with the other hand. They do enjoy catching with it though.
Maybe try a different approach.
A 6 foot 1-piece ultralight blank from Cabela's for only $20.
Paired with a 10" bass slip ring grip should cast a 3 weight and provide the option for a spinning reel. This provides the longer grip for two hand use and the enlarged butt end to play the fish.
As he grows this can be a fun rod for panfish or a small stream native trout rod whichever way he chooses. This also allows the addition of the cannon without complicating his affection for his first fly rod.

Good fishing to both

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster