I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weight issues
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 07:29PM

Hello gentlemen, I have built close to 20 rods and mostly use 6' st croix rods. My question is whenever I build with a 6 1/2 rod they feel a little top heavy. Does it matter where the reel seat is placed, or can I put it anywhere. Do I need to bring my stripper guide closer to the butt. My static test comes out fine and the rods perform perfect, it just feels strange.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight issues
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 07:53PM

Six more inches can do a lot for a rod! :-)

The reel seat placement is up to you completely.

DR

Date: July 02, 2009 08:24PM

If I bring down the stripper guide, would that help.

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: July 02, 2009 08:40PM

Moving the stripper would help a little, but not much. The place to save weight would be the last 2/3 of the blank near the tip if you are trying to get a balanced rod. By moving the reel seat forward a little, you will change the fulcrum point. This may be enough to gain the balanced feel you are looking for.

Eric

Date: July 02, 2009 08:48PM

I thought moving it back would help, am I wrong

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2009 09:39PM

Moving the butt guide isn't going to affect much in the way of balance. As the rod gets longer, it's going to feel a little tip heavy. All you can do is use the smallest and lightest guides suitable for the task required and keep those wraps short and finish light.

I would build the handle length to suit the task needed and let the balance fall where it may.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2009 09:41PM

An extra inch of length on the rear grip will most likely solve the issue AND be unnoticeable otherwise.

Next build, add an inch to the rear and fit everything to the blank. Give it a try. IF you like it, glue away. IF not, cut down the rear grip and refit the reel seat and front grip. Nothing lost in the process AND it gives you an opportunity to test the theory ... free of charge.

Jim -

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 02, 2009 11:10PM

Also the material used on the butt handle. Using a heaver material wood, exotic cork, some thing to add some weight to the butt of the rod. Not that it is good to ad any weight.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 11:56PM

Kevin,
How long is the back grip on your rod or rods?

If you want a rod that is not tip heavy, when it gets past 6 feet, you need to either add butt length or add weight to the butt of the rod to have a perfect balance.

Most manufacturers elect to go with a longer back grip.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 03, 2009 12:20AM

I always use wood split grips on my rods and place the reel seat 6 1/2 inchs from the end of the blank.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 06:13AM

I have a couple that felt tip heavy till i put the reel on and that kind of changed the entire feel of the tip.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 05, 2009 10:50AM

I would not move the seat just to change the balance of the rod. Put the seat where you need it to be for proper handling and let the balance fall where it may. Once you add a reel, line it and fish a plug, all that is going to fall by the wayside anyway.

Only thing I would advise is to always build the upper half of the rod as light as possible. A thread, short wraps, PG for finish. Make us of the smallest and lightest guides possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster