I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top Glue
Posted by: Mark Clooten (89.105.196.---)
Date: July 01, 2009 08:42AM

I have not done this but for emergency repair would gluing a tip top back on a rod with super glue CA work okay or would it fail right away? I am putting together some emergency repair kits for a customer who bought rods from me and thought I would put in a new tip top one with some CA if that glue will work. I thought about a stick of hot melt but many guys no longer smoke and so don't carry a lighter or matches anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top Glue
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 09:01AM

Mark-
If he is going fishing without the minimum necessary to start a fire he is making a mistake IMO. Can be a lifesaver.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 09:12AM

Add a lighter to your kit. The Flex Coat hot glue is about the best tip glue available.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 09:54AM

I would throw in a a 5 minute epoxy (small tubes are $1). Super glue will work but it dries white and doesn't always look good. Flex Coat is OK, but I've had too many tips come lose when it's hot.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:06AM

Obtain one of the small green plastic waterproof match case tubes from an army/navy or outdoor store. They cost maybe a buck. Cut a short section of hot melt glue and toss in a half dozen short wooden matches. It's small, neat and will get him by in a pinch. Include 2 tiptops - one the same size as what he has and one a full 64th larger. The latter is in case he breaks the rod just below the current tiptop.

You can probably fit all of the above in the same little tube.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:29AM

Add a paper clip -

Insert through eye to pull tip off while slowly heating tube on tip top - careful to not put flame to exposed blank

Add a single edge razor blade to cut a piece of the adhesive to stick down in the tube or preload them first. It is also best to use the razor blade to prep the blank tip for removal of old adhesive by using the blade vertically to lightly scrape.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:39AM

I am not a "henny penny" type but I would be reluctant to add something to a kit which could cause some injury like a razor blade--no offense intended. You might consider a list of items one should carry and if the person chooses not to it is really his/her responsibility. In the old days I liked the stick matches that strike anywhere which are not available any more that I am aware of. You could coat the tips with wax and have waterproof matches.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:41AM

I'd think that most fishermen carry some sort of knife on them or in their tackle. So that should be covered.

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:20AM

I use 5 minute epoxy on all my tip tops however I carry a hot glue stick in my tackle case with matches to help out anyone on the boat that has tip tops come loose. I do this as a courtesy to the fellow fisherman and also for the people who run the boat to help them out when a customer has a problem. It's a handy thing to have and requires no tools and you can always find someone on the boat with a cigarette lighter to melt the glue if matches are not available. I don't charge for this little repair and belileve me the people that are very appreciative when you do this little repair.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:27AM

You can take this subject a lot further if you wish! I hope the ones with the matches and lighters do not lay down in the back of the boat by the gas cans to make the repair!. Many repairs are made in the evening after the fishing day in a camper or motel or weith in stand. Try to slice a thin sliver of the Flexcoat Hot melt to fit into a 5.0 tube with a dull pocket knife. If you do not get the old stuff off the bond will be weaker. Do What You Gotta Do - Safely! Or do as some - just take the rod back to the place of purchase and get you a new one!

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:45AM

I think you are talking about a small boat. I am fishing on a 110' party boat that can carry a little more then 100 fisherman but usually during the week when I fish there are between 40 and 80 people so there is no danger in doing a repair on the boat. Smoking is permitted on the outside but not in the cabin so carring matches and a cigarette lighter is permitted.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: July 05, 2009 04:03AM

Another strategy for getting glue into the tube is to heat the tube and then 'scoop' a little off the stick; be careful to hold the tip in a way not to burn fingers. Doesn't take that much heat to do.

Rod tips become loose sometimes, too.

Great idea for the small repair kit.

How about Rod Bond hardener and resin in an old contact lens case? Keeps the two separate until ready to use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster