I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' 11" Crankbait Blank
Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 12:56AM

I've been reading past posts on cranking blanks, but still am having a hard time finding this.... I have a guy who wants a 7'11" crankbait rod for deep cranking on Choke Canyon. He's specifically asking for composite, but I guess glass might work too. I don't think a popping blank will work for this application... Any suggestions on 7'11" composite blanks? I can't seem to find one....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' 11" Crankbait Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 08:46AM

The Batson SW967 is a very well thought of blank for larger cranks and small to mid swimbaits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 10:03PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2009 09:40AM

Phenix has a couple of 7'6" composites that could be slightly extended. American Tackle has a couple of 8'0" composites that could be slightly docked. Either way, there are some moderate action blanks in the design you seek.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 11:55AM

Kyle please take a look at the Castaway XP3 965 for your use. Many moving bait fishermen in that area are using this blank quite successfully of light weight moving bait rods. This blank is set up for the DD22 deep divers and when built with all micro on top will chunk it a long way and crank er down with ease.

[rodbuilding.org]

8'0" Length
Line # 12 - 20 Lure Oz. - 1/2 - 1 oz
Tip 6.0 Butt Dia 0.496
Blank Wt Oz 2.2
Power Med Hvy Mod

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 11:57AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 30, 2009 12:11PM

I've sold a bunch of the 8' XP3s to people and none have been disappointed. Most of the times, the request for a glass or composite rod is because they don't realize you can get the supper soft tip and moderate action in a graphite rod. With the 965, you can trim an inch off the tip or butt and have a great rod for deep cranking.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: June 30, 2009 01:26PM

I'll second Roberts comment...

I find that most times people are asking for glass or composite...its because they don't realize they make graphite blanks with a moderate taper.

Not that there is anything wrong with preferring glass over graphite. But you need to know about them BOTH to prefer one over the other.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: June 30, 2009 01:31PM

Kyle I think you test casted that rod in Houston - if you did not Eddie Torres did - ask him how it handled

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 02:31PM

Thanks guys! I think I'll give the 965 a shot. He's looking for all on top micros, so I think I know who my go-to guy is. Bill, I'll be in touch shortly. Thanks again

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: June 30, 2009 06:01PM

Bingham Ent carries the Rogue 7 ft 11 in blanks for crankbaits, don't know anything about their composition.

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.cor.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 04:47AM

kyle
ive got some 964 set up like bill stevens if you need one to show the guy your welcome to call or try it butt look out choke isnt big enought he can chuck all the way across 361 563 2570 i lve in rockport fatherlaw live in three rivers by the lake
capt alan

Date: July 01, 2009 09:08AM

I hope every one noticed a real interesting thing contained in Kyle's posts - a custom builder has a CUSTOMER who evidently has enough bass fishing experience to follow existing trends in requesting composites for a cranking rod and at the same time is "LOOKING FOR AN ALL ON TOP MICRO ROD" - somehow the MICRO word must be leaking out!

Posted by: David Page (---.224.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 03:52PM

I agree Bill, I've had 2 people call asking if I was the guy that builds with the "mini guides". A year ago no one had ever seen or heard of them and people were freaking out because they were too small. Now they are calling and requesting them.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 04:14PM

David's post x2. It usual goes "It's gonna have micros right?"

In fact since January I have only sold one rod with "bigger" guides, and it had 4s as runners - not 3s. Just happened to have a larger butt guide as that fit better with this clients particular technique.

The one thing I'm not doing is converting production rods over to micros. Had several requests for that as well.

-----------------
AD

Date: July 01, 2009 04:30PM

Many do not know just how fast this is spreading -

Alan Beck is a high profile charter captain and rodbuilder in Rockport, Texas who saw his first MICRO rod less than a month ago as a result of asking a question concerning blank breakage on this Forum.

[www.gottafishonline.com]

Alan has demonstrated the superiority of these rods to a completely different market. Custom builders in the Texas area who become proficient in the correct use of the smaller guide trains will benefit from Alan's on the water work with this new style of build with many of his customers and fellow charter captains in the Rockport area.

Posted by: David Page (---.224.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 04:54PM

Alex, I have 2 rods sitting here to be rebuilt with micro's. They'll be my 6th and 7th when I'm done. I don't understand why they would do it personally but some people would rather pay to have theirs redone than have a new on built. Their money so what they want is what they get.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.cor.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 08:30PM

hey guys
ive been in the fishing business for a long time and micro guides is somthing to talk about. putting all the guides on the top of the blank like bill stevens is telling everyone to do makes a difference because of the cast abliity and the sensitivity of the rod. everyone that i have let cast or fish with this rod i am now building them one. this is really unbelivable. i got my first one a month ago and i am building 9 of them already. i did a video shoot with mac delaup of fish hunt wade walk, wade belt company showing off the rods with bill stevens setup two different blanks, the 964 and 965, 8 footers so until the video comes out if you want to see it in action come down to texas and i'll show you. if you are wanting to build a crankbait rod or one of these 8 foot crocker rods (that's what i call them) call me or bill stevens and i am sure we can get you one. don't sit on the dock and wait till its too late.

Thank Bill. you have made fishing alot easier and fun again.

Date: July 01, 2009 10:00PM

Just to keep this in proper perspective:

Bill Batson > Steve Gardner > Rodmaker Magazine > Bobby Feazel > All The M&Ms > This Rod Forum > ICRBE > All Custom Builders & Supporting Vendors and Manufacturers

Gentlemen Start Your Engines!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster