I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chuck/lathe
Posted by: Wade Briner (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 12:07AM

What is the best way to keep the rod attached to the chuck when turning cork? Right now I just have a dowel I keep adding/removing tape from.

Thank you!

Wade

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chuck/lathe
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2009 09:17AM

The chuck shouldn't be loosening. Can you elaborate on your chuck and exactly how you've got things connected?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 09:41AM

Wade,
If I am doing a full blank - handle glue up - I glue the rings on the blank and then spin the handle and blank at the same time while shaping the cork handle.

To do this, I use a "stick" inserted into the end of the blank to turn the entire blank and handle.

As you have indicated, I use tape if necessary to space out the "stick" to insure a tight fit on the inside of the blank for a secure fit on the inside of the blank. The other end of the "stick" is inserted into the chuck and tightened down.

Now for the stick-
I use either a hollow graphite blank section, a piece of solid graphite or fiberglass stick, or a piece of metal drill rod.

The "sticks" that have been working the best are the solid glass or graphite shafts that are sanded down for a perfect match for the interior of the particular blank being turned. As time has gone by, I have made a pretty good selection of glass or graphite sticks to fit a very large variety of blank diameters and tapers. Thus, I simply grab the right stick from the stick box, insert it into the blank and turn away.

For most of my new rod builds, I put the butt cap on the rod at the very end of the build. As a result, I generally keep the stick in the butt of the blank through the build process.
That way, I simply use the protruding stick to chuck into my power wrapper when I am doing the guide wraps.

However, for my dryer, I remove the stick and insert the completed rod butt into my neoprene dryer chuck.
Then, when the rod comes out of the dryer, the rod is complete.

--------
So, if you are asking about how to keep the blank attached to the full length rod lathe, I generally use a shaped solid fiberglass or graphite stick that is a tight fit for the interior of the blank.

If, on the other hand, you are building only handles, and not turning the entire cork, then I use steel mandrels to hold the rings for gluing and turning. If I don't have the exact diameter mandrel to have a tight fit on the inside of the cork or other grip material, I will use tape to build up the mandrel a bit to insure a tight non slip fit for lathe shaping.

Be safe in your turning endeavors.

Roger

Posted by: Wade Briner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 04:02PM

This is what I was looking for...where does one find solid graphite/glass rods?

Thank You Roger.

Date: July 01, 2009 01:13AM

Wade,
You can use fiberglass or graphite arrow shafts.
You can find fiberglass or graphite shafts at some plastic supply houses.
You can often go to sporting goods stores with archery ranges and pick up broken arrows for no charge.

You can often find solid fiberglass shafts in hardware stores where they are sold for handles, drive way markers etc.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Wade Briner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:14AM

Thanks Roger...I have one ready to turn, so this really helps!

Date: July 01, 2009 06:44PM

Wade,
In addition to the use of the graphite and fiberglass shafts, I also use steel shafting.
I have picked up a set of all of the common hardware store variety steel rod.
I simply picked up the full set of various sizes in 12 inch lengths.
So, I can also go from 1/8th - up to 1 inch in steel shafting as well.

As with the fiberglass or graphite, I will use a layer of tape as needed to insure a nice tight fit into the butt of the blank.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster