I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yet another lathe ? sorry
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 28, 2009 10:45PM

I know that the lathe questions have been beat to death but I have one that I havent seen asked yet. Dones anyone have any experience with the Ridgid wl1200? It looks like it would be very easy to change the belt positions and looks like a quality lathe. I have a friend who has one and is in a tight spot, the lathe is basically new and he wants 250 for it. I was told that they sale for around 450-500 new, just checking out everything. This would be my first lathe and would mainly be used to turn handles, or at least a crude attempt at turning handles:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yet another lathe ? sorry
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2009 11:10PM

Chuck,
Here are the specs for this lathe:

[www.ridgid.com]

In principle, it is a fine lathe. Some folks will fault this lathe because it uses a rotary pipe base as opposed to a cast iron milled base. Generally speaking the cast iron milled base is stronger and more stable.
This lathe uses a 1/2 hp motor with a 12 inch turning circle. It also has a 37 inch distance between the turning centers. This length is longer than many of the common mini lathes on the market in stock form without a bed extension.

The head stock uses a 3/4 X 16 - and MT1 hardware which is standard for the smallest lathes.

--
You can get one of the small lathes with similar power and fittings with less space between the turning centers for about $125 - $150.

For $250 - you can get a lathe with a variable speed, MT2 hardware and a bed extension. So, it is up to you.

No question about it, Rigid makes very high quality tools. I doubt that you would have any issues in using this lathe to make any sort of handle that you wanted. Plenty of power with the 1/2 hp, and easy speed changing.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 29, 2009 12:34AM

Thanks for the reply, I am new to lathe work and a lot of this information is greek to me, and I dont speak greek. I have also been considering a psi turncrafter pro 1/2 hp midi lathe. The price seems to be right and I have heard a lot of good comments about this lathe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2009 08:01AM

It will be more than adequate for the simple tasks of turning handles and reel seats. Sounds like a good deal.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2009 10:24AM

Chuck the only problem you might have is getting attachments-chucks etc made for an MT1 taper, make a quick check to see what's available and cost for them
John

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2009 04:34PM

Most of the attachments I see catalogs come in either #1 or #2 morse taper. At least the stuff I needed for rod building.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2009 04:55PM

It won't be hard to find attachments for it - it's all standard sized stuff and Emerson made the same lathe for both Rigid and Craftsman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster