I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Veneer Butt Decoration
Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2009 03:52PM

I've been working on a new material and its time to share, using wood veneer as a decorative wrap base layer. Most of you guys who have seen Kevin Knox's work with Abalone Veneer. Anyway, a carpenter friend of mine has been building benches and tools for my shop and wanted to trade part on a rod. He wanted a rod that said WOOOOOD!

The specifics a Seeker CJBF65H, slick butt rear grip, brown Hypalon front grip to match the wood, every guide underwrapped with a tiger wrap in medium brown and Chestnut, trimmed in black and gold metallic, guides - Fuji Gunsmoke SIC Turbo Boat guide, spiral wrapped.

Here is how the process works

On Don's rod I wanted to cover about 6" of the butt section for the butt wrap. We talked about doing veneer for the underwraps, but being a new unknown material in rod building I wasn't sure I wanted to subject that much of the rod to potential problems. So for the guide underwraps I decided to use Tiger wraps to simulate a wood grain pattern. I thought about using a Clemens wrap, but having just done one of those it was time for something new.

The white masking tape was used to layout the area where the veneer would be applied.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The next issue to over come was applying the material to the blank. I settled on using a double stick vinyl tape from Tap Plastic. Look under the Repair Products section of their web site for adhesive tapes. The stuff is sticky enough to stick to UHMW, yet still flexible. I wanted to use the adhesive that Aqua Blue uses for the abalone, but it wasn't available separatly.

The tape is 1/2 wide and has a red protective film. Since I'm cutting strips I felt it important to stagger the joints in the tape so they all do not line up.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is the tape applied to whole area where the decoration will be located.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Next I cut a sheet of veneer that was oversized. 6" x 4" and taped it down to a scrap piece of wood.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The reason for this is I'm about to sand a bevel on one edge. I found out later that this is called scarfing. When starting to work with this material if the edge wasn't beveled the veneer would crack - assuming that you were overlaying the edge. I spent some time at this point trying different methods of dealing with the edge, cutting exact, overlap, cutting oversize and shrinking with water, sanding to fit. Overlap resulted in the best edge.

The bevel is about 1/16"

Next step getting the veneer lined up. First remove the protective red film exposing the adhesive. I previously marked the 180 degree point on the blank and using the glare line from over head lighting I lined it up and stuck down the beveled edge, bevel up.

An important note at this point, it depends on the direction you will wind thread on the veneer as to the direction you wrap the veneer. If you wrap thread over the top with the carriage between you and the blank, you want to wrap the veneer in a clockwise direction so the trailing edge is pulled by the thread into the blank.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Once you get it wrapped all the way around, trim the excess by scoring the veneer and snapping off the excess. It really isn't important to get this straight as the imperfection of the line will help hide its existence. Our eyes pick up horizontal lines very easily.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you look close at the trailing edge you will see that I have coated it with a thin layer of U40 Quick Bond. I chose quick bond because I know the material is friendly to other rod building finishes and will not cause me grief later.

Clamping the veneer down. Using some thread (I always have lots of White NCP on hand) start wrapping thread before the veneer to get it started and begin wrapping the veneer down. In this picture I'm just getting started and didn't want to split the material so used some wide spacing at first, then coming back to completely cover the veneer.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is the veneer completely covered in thread and tied off

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Now the waiting begins. I let this set for two hours basically enough time for the quick bond to set up but not completely harden.

This next picture shows the thread removed and the extra quick bond that needs to be removed. Since it has not fully hardened yet it is sort of like stiff rubber cement. Using a pick I removed the excess glue.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Once all the glue is removed, sand the edge with course sand paper. I started with 120 grit. In this picture you can see the material being removed on the left and the untouched joint on the right. You need to get it as close as possible with the course sand paper. I didn't turn the blank at this point.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Once the course work is done, I start spinning the blank on the lathe and moved up in grit to 220 and eventually 400. This next picture shows the sanded veneer ready for finish. You will never get rid of the edge completely because the wood will fracture when it is very thin

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The next step is to apply a thin coat of lite build thread finish. This step had some work behind it to. First attempt I tried using high build and the veneer would off gas air as the finish soaked in leaving behind craters from bubbles popping and not popping. I did try using color preserver and that might be something to keep in mind if you are using a dark veneer because the finish does darken the wood. Anyhow, baby sitting the finish with a bubble buster and lite build (better bubble releasing properties) turned out to be the best method for this light colored material.

This pic shows what the joint looks like, its just under the glare line

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is the whole piece of wood

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Veneer Butt Decoration
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 27, 2009 06:51PM

Thanks for sharing your technique- a very interesting procedure. Some nice beautiful veneer there--looks very very nice reminds me of amboyna. I really appreciate wood and its natural beauty. I am surprised that the veneer was limber enough to allow it to be wrapped around. If you do this again you might consider CA to seal the veneer before the final finish. Good for you!!!!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 27, 2009 09:57PM

I love it!! Very unique! Thanks a bunch for sharing it!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: June 28, 2009 01:12AM

Woww!! Very nice.
Thanks for sharing all that! Nice work Ted. Did you do anything to the veneer before application to make it that limber so it would not crack/split when you wrapped it down?

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 28, 2009 03:32AM

That is very nice, but I have seen it done on rods before? I actually inquired about some veneer earlier for a different application on a rod. Tommy Farmer has a custom AFAW rod that has wood veneers on teh handle section of the rod. I really do appreciate you taking the time to post your step by steps, and it did turn out nice. I have considered using it before, and even took a small piece and steamed it so I could bend it withouth worries of cracking, it worked well, but I was concerned that the added moisture would cause some problems with it bonding.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 28, 2009 09:16AM

Ted, very nice. This post may interest you: [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2009 10:12AM

Bill, thought about the picture routine as well, but the friend of mine is a carpenter and it just had to be wood. Chuck I had the same concerns about the moisture. In several test runs I wiped down the dust using a wet cloth and that was enough moisture to make the wood shrink. Even the moisture in CP was enough to make it shrink. After working with the material for a while I decided that I really didn't want to try and use it for underwraps on the smaller diameter sections of the rod so the underwraps are all tiger wraps. The picture routine would probably be a better answer at that point, but Don wanted wood. His moniker on another site is Woody and he uses Woody in the name of his carpenter business.

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 28, 2009 10:41AM

If your friend wants wood, contact Tom K. There was a few years back an article in Rodmaker about building a rod out of wood.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster