I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom Kirkman's Smallmouth
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 11:55AM

Tom,

I just read a post where you said you had caught a 8 lb 4 oz smallie in VA. Did you know that's a state record? 8 lb 1 oz caught on the New River was the record- when and where did you catch him?

Brandon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2009 11:59AM by brandon edwards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Kirkman's Smallmouth
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2009 12:23PM

I caught it on November 2nd a few years ago, on a very cold and windy day. I measured it, weighed it and photographed it carefully against objects with a known length. I had a witness. I would not have kept it had it been a world record. I only knew it was the largest smallmouth I'd ever caught and the largest I'd ever seen.

I knew that the 3 largest smallmouths ever caught came from Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia, in that order. 11+, 10+ and I thought, 9+. About 5 months later, I learned from Todd Stodameir (sp?) a Virginia fishing guide, that the VA state record was 8lbs, 1oz.

I was amazed at how many "catch and release" fishermen who saw the photos told me that they would have kept it. Frankly, I'm glad to know it's still possibly swimming in the same waters where I caught it. Maybe I'll catch it again when it's 10+ lbs. And if I do, I'll take more photos and release it again.

And yes, it was caught on a custom rod - a 5-weight fly rod with a 6lb tippet.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 01:41PM

You might be interested in the story that I ran across concerning the 11 pound 15 ounce smallmouth.

"No one has beaten the world record for smallmouth bass that was set by David Hayes on one sunny July afternoon in 1955. It was on that day that while trolling on Dale Hollow Reservoir, Tennessee, he landed an 11 pound, 15 ounce monster. To this day it still stands, blowing away its closest competition by a pound. However, it's a story that includes two lie detector tests and an angry angler!

The International Game Fish Association removed the record from their books, after discovering a written affidavit by John Barlow in which he stated that without Mr. Hayes knowledge, he had salted the weight by inserting weights into the fish at the Cedar Hills Dock, where the official weighing had taken place. Unfortunately, John Barlow had since died, however, before his death he took a lie detector test that he passed, where he stated he had salted the results. Shortly after the IGFA removed the record, so did National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame."

Date: June 26, 2009 03:13PM

The 2nd largest fish, also taken from TN, was then installed as the record.

This is all fun to discuss, but it's way off the topic of custom rod building.

Posted by: David Page (---.66.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 04:22PM

David Hayes' record was reinstated a few years ago. I don't remember everything that went into why they chose to reinstate it but they did. He llives about 30 miles from me and I've had the pleasure of meeting him and seeing the fish on several occasions. He is VERY interesting man and still loves telling the story about his smallmouth. That man can flat out tell a fish story let me tell you.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 26, 2009 09:03PM

WOW! Tom, that's HUGE. How long before you brought it in?

Mo

Date: June 26, 2009 09:10PM

I had some luck - the fish saw me and ran towards me trying to wrap around my legs - probably thought they were rocks or trees. So the entire fight took place without the fish running very far. Probably was over in 3 or 4 minutes, tops.

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 10:06PM

Great story Tom! I share your respect for the smallies and your dedication to catch and release. I'm building a 6wt loomis right now to bass fish with for the first time this year and I will be very happy with one half that size. Any suggestions on flies? I've only fly fished for trout in the past. Anyway, great great story.

Posted by: Tom Ciannilli (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2009 07:42AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm glad to know it's still possibly swimming in the same waters where I
caught it. Maybe I'll catch it again when it's 10+lbs. And if I do, I'll take more photos and
release it again ..............

Go for you......good for us......a true sportsman.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2009 07:43AM by Tom Ciannilli.

Date: June 30, 2009 09:26AM

My only suggestion on flies is this - go big and go deep.

Any of the guys who smallmouth fish with me will tell you that I only use 1 fly, and have used only that one fly (pattern) for a decade. I see no reason to switch around. Spend your time fishing instead of changing flies.

Just tie up something dark, long (at least 2 inches if not longer) and add enough weight so that it will sink in the amount of current you're fishing. I don't fish smack on the bottom, but pretty close to it.

I've caught a bunch of nice smallmouth over the years, several in the 6lb and 7lb class, and firmly believe fishing large and deep is the key. My fishing partners have included several rod builders, including Sammy Mickel from this forum. Don't take my word for what a fly rod can do with smallmouth - ask them. They've seen me take most of these fish and can vouch for what a large fly fished deep, can do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster