I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick Composite Cork Question
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 12:33AM

I favor whole cork (or whatever the term is) so I never tried composite cork. However, I figure I'd like to try some composite cork for the final ring at the end of the butt for durability the the rod is set down on the ground. I need this to be without a hole.

Quick questions:
1. Are composite cork indeed much more durable to abrasion?
2.Do they differ in durability or are they all about the same?
3. What do you like that looks more 'distinctive' for end of group use without a hole?

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick Composite Cork Question
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 01:17AM

Mo the composite butt caps I have used are very durable, much more durable than regular cork. What I have used has been the rubberized butt caps. Mud Hole sells them as do most of the vendors.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: June 25, 2009 02:07AM

Thanks. I'm looking for the rings that I can glue to the regular cork and then turn for a custom shape. Don't think I can turn the rubber butt caps right?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: June 25, 2009 03:56AM

this is what i do, right or wrong, it works for me. I also use the rubberized cork rings that mudhole sells. I glue up my grip, then sand to shape, seal etc and ream to fit blank, then install as normal, but i push the grip down over the end of the blank 1/2 inch. I then take on of the rubberized rings without a hole and use either an old pistol cartridge case or gasket punch and punch myself a plug that is slighly larger than the hole in my grip. Put a slight taper on the plug and epoxy it in. If you make it a good snug fit all it requires is a very minimal hand sanding to make an almost invisible plug.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 07:36AM

I have used the rubberized composite cork rings without a hole from Mud Hole for my butt ring and they seem to be holding up quite well. I did not have any problems with gluing/sanding the rings and I used TruOil for the finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 10:55AM

Mo,
The rubberized cork is much tougher and heavier than ordinary cork.
However, depending on the cork, the burled cork may be more, equal or less tough than ordinary cork. This is because of the composition of burled cork compared to rubberized cork.
'Burled cork is composed of cork chunks and glue as opposed to rubberized cork, which is more in the form of cork dust and glue.

In any event, the rubberized cork is a very tough piece of material.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
I like to use burled cork for other parts of the handle, for accent - just not for the butt cap.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 11:01AM

Mo, Mud Hole sells the rubberized cork rings with no hole. Listed under Cork Rings.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: June 25, 2009 12:59PM

Thanks anyone. So 'rubberized cork' is apparently different from 'burled cork'. I'll check them out.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 03:16PM

Rubberized cork is the most durable "cork" product. Here's a photo of a set of grips made completely with composites ... burnt composite, mixed composite AND rubberized cork.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

You can see the rubberized cork at the end of the butt grip. It was done with a 1/2" ring WITH the center hole. I turn the entire assembly, fit to the blank, remove and finish with polyurethane, glue into position and THEN fill the hole in the base with a matching piece of rubberized cork.

I buy these rings for the last piece ... [www.mudhole.com]

I actually whittle a small plug out of another rubberized ring to fill the hole. Once you have a half decent fit, stuff it into the hole with Flexcoat 5-minute epoxy. It should actually stick out on the end. Let it dry, then trim and sand flush with a nail file. After you do a few, it becomes very easy AND difficult to really tell how it was done.

Jim -

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.143.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 05:45PM

Bob at Custom Tackle has some plugs for the hole. They work great - I used to carve out my own, but using one of the plugs is a lot quicker.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 06:44PM

You can also not even worry about the hole. I mean after the handle is done, take a ring of your end cap and with a rasp scrap it and collect the dust, mix the dust with 5 min, regular rod bond or the like, fill up the hole , after dry sand and coat with - I like permagloss.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Black (65.91.229.---)
Date: June 26, 2009 09:29AM

Mud Hole sells the rubberized "butt plug" for the 1/4" hole. I use 'em and it makes it easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster