I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Polishing a graphite blank
Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:19PM

Some books and DVD''s I have reviewed recommend polishing a blank as a final step. One such product that has been recommended is 3M Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze 05941. I finally tracked down a source but I am now told that 3M stopped making it. Is there an alternative product or maybe some general discussion of the advisability of this step?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polishing a graphite blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:24PM

I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish ... modifying the look OR just providing shine and protection. IF it is the latter, I use Meguiar's Carnauba Wax. It does a great job AND is very easy to apply. One bottle will do a whole lot of rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:25PM

Polish can be mildly abrasive - I'd recommend against it. Instead, apply a good wax to the rod. That's really all you need to do on a new rod.

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:39PM

Thanks. I was thinking purely cosmetic to dress it up nice and pretty. The Glazing Compounds were just known to last longer. I was looking for something non abrasive that did not contain silicone.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:53PM

Like Jim, I use wax and recommend to all by customers that they wax their rods at least at the beginning of every season

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 10:51PM

I use a good hard wood floor wax with Carnauba
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 11:21PM

Ditto Carnuba wax.
Herb

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 11:23PM

To polish out scratches, I use Meguiar's 105 and follow up with 205 if needed. In fact, I just used 105 on an orange pad to polish out a Shikari blank that had some nasty scratches on it. The 105 got most of them out and I didn't need to use 205 afterward. On a car, I'd need to follow up the 105 with 205 on a gray pad for sure, but the blank didn't need that level of perfection.

To polish blanks, I use only the 205 with a gray pad and follow with a wax. A mild finishing polish like the 205 will add a nice sheen to your rod. You need something after to protect it and that's where the wax comes in (any good wax should do). You could also use a sealant like Meguiar's 21 for extra depth and even longer durability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 11:26PM by Robert Russell.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 11:27PM

I always wax my rods before they leave my hands with care instructions to rinse thoroughly after every trip and rewax ever 3-5 trips. Saltwater takes a toll on offshore gear rather quickly. For freshwater rods, I would venture to guess that 1-2 times a season will likely work.

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 11:43PM

Not worried about saltwater much. We are in Kansas. I do appreciate all the suggestions. I will get'em shined up.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 09:29AM

How does wax protect a graphite rod? I understand how it would make them shine, but what does it protect the rod from?

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 09:58AM

While wax doesnt offer much, it does offer a little bit of sacrificial protection. It helps keep the shine and protects any finish on the blank against dirt, moss, weeds etc. Obviously against a tree branch it doesnt do anything, but its everyday wear it protects against. The same concept applies to a car.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 11:09AM

Bryce,
If you have a blank - that has no finish. i.e. raw graphite, it makes sense to shine the blank using one of the many different polishing compounds.

Many ordinary hardware stores have various grades of polishing compounds. All of these polishing compounds use some form of abrasive material in a polishing suspension compound. As the material is used up, tiny pieces of the polishing material work as various grades of sand paper to polish the object being buffed.

For plastic, graphite and fiberglass, the white stainless compound works very well.

Also, if you happen to have a painted finish on a blank, with some paint defects in the form of bumps or runs, the polishing compound does a nice job of cleaning up these defects.

If you have a perfect painted finish on a rod, the polishing compound will do nothing for the rod except to remove some of the finish.

If you want a shiny temporary finish on a fishing rod, you can use any form of wax, or even wd-40 to achieve a temporary shiny finish.

If you have stripped a finish from a rod, and want a nice polished look about the rod, then the use of various grades of polishing compound as the blank is spinning in a lathe is a good way to go to achieve the perfect polished look on the blank before building the rod.

Just check any of the many on line as well as hardware stores for buffing compounds. Concentrate on the finer compounds - like the white stainless, green light polish, or th e red rogue that is often used for polishing jewelery.

If you have a painted or dyed blank - best to stay with no polish or some sort of wax. Otherwise you run the risk of finish removal with any of the slightly abrasive polishing compounds.

---
I just finished a blank painting job yesterday. After finishing, there was a slight amount of orange peel in a couple of spots on the blank. The orange peel was easily removed by simply spinning the blank in the lathe and then using a simple cloth with nothing on the cloth to rub out the orange peel for the finish demanded by the customer.

Often the use of a simple uncoated cloth as the blank is spinning in the lathe is all that the blank needs for the perfect finish. This also applies to painted and dyed rods.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
If you do spin a full length blank in a lathe, be sure to use adequate roller supports at locations that are not on the spots of harmonic vibration on the blank. If you place the supports incorrectly, it is very easy to destroy a blank due to destructive harmonic vibration.

Always start the blank spinning slowly, while checking for destructive vibration. If necessary, move the roller rests up and or down the blank to locate the guides in a safe supporting location on the blank to avoid destructive vibration.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: June 25, 2009 11:56AM

Roger.

If you have stripped a finish from a rod, and want a nice polished look about the rod, then the use of various grades of polishing compound as the blank is spinning in a lathe is a good way to go to achieve the perfect polished look on the blank before building the rod.

By this methor, sould I be safe to think that the wax would not act as a contaminant to the epoxy if applied prior to building the rod??? Just curious, because I'm in the process of stripping one down now for a re-build.

Thanks
Harold

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 01:47PM

Harold-I don't think you would want to use wax on a blank prior to building. Some contain silicones. The polishing compounds used by auto painters are probably safe- if not they would have the same problems with paint as we would with thread finish. Testing on a scrap of blank is always a good idea. Read a comment here once that said a bare blank could be polished with a piece of Kraft paper while spinning.

Date: June 25, 2009 02:38PM

Thanks Chris. That's what I was thinking. I never heard of the craft paper trick, I will have to give it a try.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 03:02PM

Never get near any blank before building with any polish or wax. Clean with alcohol then after building and before shipping or using then wax - or even pledge. Keep away from your finish room !!!

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 25, 2009 03:11PM

Thanks Bill. That was one of the first rules drummed into me. That is why I was curious with Rogers statement.

Harold

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 06:19PM

Harold,
If you have a blank with scratches or a blank you stripped, I'd polish it before you build it. I do this all the time and have never had any issues. Just do a good wipe down with alcohol when you're finished polishing before you start your build. If you try to clean up after the build, there will inevitably be areas that you can not get to or work well because of your build.

The craft paper trick is what the old timers used. Except back then, we used strips of grocery store bags when they were still made from paper. We'd use a little spit and 1 inch wide strips. Paper is very abrasive and that's what gives the polish.

Robert

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 06:24PM

Then is it a - before the build or after ? Is the rod going to be refinished, or just cleaned before a build, i will use any kind of wax, Pledge is easy, only before it goes into the shipping container. I was painting a car doing auto body work in a shop, when some one out side in the shop - all ya have to do is open a can of wax. the fish eyes just crawled all over the car. I definitely lost my cool !!

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster