I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fast action trout rod
Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.168.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 05:25PM

Hey guys I am looking for a spec. trout rod to throw small 1/8 oz jig heads on with 10lb braid. Looking to catch the big trout on light tackle need a fast action blank and dont want to spend the loomis and st croix money any suggestions

I got a blank from lance at swampland it is a forecast SP722-DB i like it a lot but sold it yesterday. looking for something like it just a little more bounce in it.

Hey Bill I know you are going to read this. What are the marsh master rods? What type of blank are they using?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fast action trout rod
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.81.113.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 05:45PM

Consider a Cabela's 8 foot 5 weight traditional 2 fly rod blank.
Reasonable price. Good casting and action

Posted by: Jon Black (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 06:00PM

CRB Inshore blanks from Mudhole are well worth the money, and would be ideal for what you're looking for.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2009 06:09PM

Look for the lightest popping rod blank you can find. Some are rated down close to 1/8th ounce. Or, extend a regular light power freshwater spinning rod. That could be the ticket for what you want. to do

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 06:24PM

Like said , I have used short fast blanks, now I go for longer at least 7 + . The more mod blanks work better for the lighter lures. They have to load, and the fast ones don't .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.34.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:49PM

I would definitely check out the CRB blanks from Mudhole. I've used quite a few and have been highly impressed for the money.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 10:02PM

Bryan, what do you mean by more 'bounce'? More power? That's a term I'm not familiar with. 1/8 oz and 10 lbs braid doesn't seem to be matched up as well. With 1/8, you can cast further if that's important with lighter braid such as 6 lb Sufix Performance braid or even 4 lbs Fireline.

Mo

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 10:05PM

IMO, a Rainshadow or Castaway P843 gets the job done...they are popular blanks for tossing 1/8 oz jigs/soft plastics here in Tejas. I sometimes use a 1/16oz.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.34.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 10:52PM

Mo Yang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bryan, what do you mean by more 'bounce'? More
> power? That's a term I'm not familiar with. 1/8
> oz and 10 lbs braid doesn't seem to be matched up
> as well. With 1/8, you can cast further if that's
> important with lighter braid such as 6 lb Sufix
> Performance braid or even 4 lbs Fireline.
>
> Mo

I tend to overline a little, using 20# Sufix Performance braid throwing flutter jigs w/ 5" jerk baits. There be big fish where I cast.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 11:34PM

I really like the 843 popping blanks from the Swampland boys also. Another blank you might look at if you want to go longer is the HS9000 from Batson. It's got a nice soft tip and good back bone. I throw baits on a casting reel that weigh under 1/4 oz on both the Swampland and HS9000 blanks without any problem.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 01:28AM

Personally I prefer a 2 power popping blank for throwing 1/8 oz jigs. I have both 2 power and 3 power in popping blanks and like the 2 power the best for casting 1/8 oz jigs. I found the 1/8 oz jig will not load the 3 power as easy as it will the 2 power. But then I am using 6 lb Suffix mono.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.168.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 12:49PM

I guess what i am trying to say is that i need a mod to fast action rod Mo. I think that is what I am trying to say I just need to call bill Stevens so he can put me in my place and on the right track. I have a few of the 843s they are very good blanks just want something similar with a little but not much faster action. I will call the rod fairy's (the swampland boys) this evening.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: June 25, 2009 01:40PM

Batson RX7. IP840 or 841.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 05:22PM

I'm with Ted, the Batson IP 840 or 841 sound about right. Others would be the G Loomis P 8400. The Shikari P, IP, PP7000 are virtually identical to the Loomis if you can find one.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2009 09:27PM

Byran,
In contrast to some of the other posts, I really don't like to use the popping style rods for tossing light jigs.

I do use this style rod - i.e. a popping rod, when I build for live bait fishing. Here in the midwest, we frequently fish for Walleye - using the technique of either pitching light jigs - 1-/16th to 1/8th - or we use a live bait rig to drag a weight with a plain hook on a long snell.
For the applications of live bait fishing where we drag a live bait behind a light weight, the popping rod is ideal, because it protects the live bait when casting due to the softer tip, and the more moderate action of the rods.

However, when we jig fish - by pitching light jigs, then we prefer the much crisper action of a fast or extra fast tipped jig stick.

If you look at the St Croix rod site:
stcroixrods.com - check their catalog for the optimum blank. If you look at the SCIII, SCiV and SCV blanks in the rods section; you see a very good description of the rod styles and the best rods in their line up for those applications.

For light trout fishing with the 1/8th oz jigs, you would be looking at similar rods.

If you like a different brand rods; simply select a similar rod with the same characteristics.

For example, the classic light jigging stick here in the midwest is a 6'3" medium light rod with an extra fast tip.
You find these classic rods in all of the St. Croix series.

If you are fishing deeper water, fishing water with current, and or heavier jigs than 1/8th oz - then consider the medium action rod in the same length with the same extra fast tip.

In the Loomis line - the SJ 720,and 721 are excellent examples of this rod as well.

Good luck,
Roger

p.s.
If I don't have one of the light jig sticks when I am fishing, but happen to have one of my popping rods, I will certainly tie a 1/8th oz jig on that rod and still catch fish. It just takes a bit of a different hook set, or the use of a different line to optimize the rod with this style fishing.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2009 09:48PM

The jigs that I'm referring to are just the screwlock leadheads that you use w/ a soft plastic like a saltwater assassin, so the total lure weight would be more than the 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig. The spec. trout we target by wading the flats on the Texas coast are 20 -30" and I don't think a 1 or 2 power rod is the best choice, at least for me. Big reds run the same waters as the trout and hit the same lures. Everyone has their preferences and different styles of fishing, but he did say for speckled trout.
Jerry

Posted by: Greg Weaver (12.54.128.---)
Date: June 25, 2009 10:38PM

Batson 822.5 in RX6, RX7, RX7/RX8, or RX8+. Fantastic blanks with Med/Med.light power and extra fast action. They throw light wieghts very well. Very sensitive blanks. The only decision is how much you want to spend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster