I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing pre printed rod info
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 11:07AM

Hoping one of you has done this before... I have a TFO Ticr-x want to remove the "Temple fork outfitters"and "lefty kreh" that's written up the blank. It appears to be screen printed, not a decal. If I can remove it safely, I don't want to over wrap the area... but I'm nervous as to how to remove it without taking the blue paint with it.

Any ideas?

Alternatively, does anyone have a paint match for that blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing pre printed rod info
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 12:15PM

Alcohol is the first thing I would try. Safest If it is a good paint job it should not harm it.

Try it on the butt section first where the handle will go..

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2009 12:18PM

More than likely, alcohol isn't going to remove the screen printed logo. It will take something much harsher, such as acetone or laquer thinner. The problem is, those may ruin the paint as well. As Bill suggested, try it on an area that will covered with the seat or grip prior to trying it on the logo.

One other thing to consider - removal of the manufacturer's logo and related nomenclature may void any warranty on the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 12:37PM

In addition to the other posts, you might try Xylene.
This is a very strong solvent that will take off most labels.

However, as Tom pointed out, be sure to do a test - application of the solvent on a part of the blank that will be covered by the grip first.
You need to know if the finish can stand up to the effects of the solvent.

Also, be sure to use either Acetone or Xylene outside or in a well vented area. The fumes are quite toxic from either of these solvents.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 12:52PM

Or, mask off the blank (to get a clean edge) and strip all the paint off just forward of the grasp, put a trim wrap over the junction between the painted blank and unfinished blank. Then when applying the thread finish, just finish the bare spot too as well as the trim bands. Looks cool and way custon. I did it once on a St Croix Legend Elite flyrod removing the matte forest green finish and inscribing the blank on the naked blank.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2009 01:49PM

According to Brandon at TFO, that is one of the handful of things that you could do to jeopardize any warranty claim. He strongly suggested NOT removing it the silk screen OR covering it.

He did say that the labeling can't be removed without removing the underlying paint. That is an intentional feature of the imprinting.

Date: June 24, 2009 03:48PM

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify- I wasn't going to remove the entire inscription, just part of it. I don't want all that factory writing on a custom rod. (besides, it is written way up above the grip) I was going to leave the "TiCR-X 9wt" in place. If they would not honor the warranty even if I just wrapped over part of the inscription, I'd be shocked. It's not like any other brand had a blue "TiCR-X" blank out there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 06:09PM

Next time go for a Batson blank. Good price and no logo to deal with. Excellent finish !

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 25, 2009 11:10AM

I like Batson a lot (fly and casting) and have build a number of them... part of the consideration of this particular build, was blank color so that limited me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster