I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Surf Blanks
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:22AM

I'm wondering about something this morning (I have problems).

Surf guys on the East Coast, especially from Jersey north, are almost slavishly devoted to Lamiglas blanks. The G1000 series, for example, is the standard bearer for surf plugging - go to any dedicated Long Island surf rat, and mention a 1201L, and he'll know what you're talking about.

I'm not saying that Lamiglas makes bad blanks -- I've used them myself, and like them very much -- but does this devotion cause builders and surfcasters to miss out on other stuff? Everything I've seen in surf blanks from St. Croix has been excellent: as good, and frequently better, than what I see from Lami. Here's a company producing high-quality, American-made blanks, and every time I mention them, people give me a blank stare, because almost nobody uses them, at least around me. It seems to me that when it comes to the custom rod market for surf fishing, St. Croix might be the most underrated, under-appreciated, under-utilized blank maker out there.

So my question: what are builders' experience with St. Croix surf blanks? Do the guys who have used them have as high an opinion of them as I do? Or do the guys who build a lot of surf rods prefer other makers? If so, why? Is their relative lack of popularity due to price?

P.S. I have no affiliation with any of these companies, and no ulterior motive in asking this question -- I'm just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Surf Blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2009 09:31AM

Often, guys who wish to get involved in surf fishing will ask around and try to find out what others are using with success. By virtue of their many 1-piece models, Lamiglas has always been popular and not just in the northeast - they have been a mainstay in Carolinas and Virginia for decades. Still are. Success tends to build more success.

You also have to remember that up until the early 1990s, St. Croix was seen as a lower end product. It's only been in the past 15 years or so that the company has really upgraded their product lines and reached the top level. So many older surf guys still see them as being something less than top drawer. That's changing, of course, but it takes time.

I worked with Wade Cunningham on some special offset-ferrule, very fast action surf blanks in the early 1990's. They were totally different than what anybody was using on the Outer Banks of NC at that time. But they proved successful and in short order copy-cat blanks from Seeker, Loomis, All Star, etc., began showing up. Somebody has to be first. If you want to get St. Croix entrenched in your area, you'll have to be the one that gets some out there. Once guys see them and realize that they work and do the job, you'll get fewer blank stares when you mention them.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster