I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Emergency guide finish
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2009 12:28AM

Are there any products that could be used as an emergency guide finish with a 12 hr cure time before use? Idea being to remove the guide later and rework to a more accepted norm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Emergency guide finish
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 12:53AM

What about nail polish? You can keep some clear in the tackle box or vest. Before I knew better I repaired old rods with fishing line and nail polish.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 01:48AM

Color preserver. Put on 3 coats. Easily removed later; cut the threads and remove the remaining CP from the blank with a little isopropyl alcohol. It's the thread wrap that holds the guide in place. The CP will keep things tight for a few days of fishing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 01:49AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 07:27AM

I second CP. I have had a rod I used for years actually with only CP on the threads.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2009 09:39AM

another vote for clear nail polish three thin coats will hold up for a long time
John

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 10:24AM

If you plan to do a correct repair job latter, try Super Glue for a fast fix

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 12:26PM

if you have 12hrs then I would use regular thread finish. Most will be set within 5-6hrs. Full cure takes longer
but I have applied finish one day and fished it the next without any issues.

Nail polish is the best "quick fix" I have used too and sets faster than CP

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2009 04:56PM

That list was good enough its going in my note book, THANKS ALL!

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: June 23, 2009 05:04PM

I third the CP. I to have a rod (saltwater) that only has CP on it. I wanted to fish it and could not wait for a coat of epoxy. It's been used for a couple of months with no problem at all (light surf fishing).
The benefit being very easy removal and clean up when prepping for a proper repair.
Steven

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 09:41PM

Fly Tying head cement is another option, or aquaseam seal used on waders is another emergency fix. Any adhesive will bind the threads for an emergency fix.

I've used 2lb tippet to re-wrap guides without any cp. It gets you through a trip.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster